Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup programs VISTA

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Looking for help and and advice about the best way to control automatic startups on VISTA laptop. more unneeded programs are loading on startup and I want to limit them. I have some idea which ones are important, but want to get rid of the fluff. I have searched the web, but don't know what programs to trust.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Finally figured it out to make it a txt. I am unable to delete the files "file not found". But I was able to change file to txt. Attaching now

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is going to be a little long so get ready.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0"
+ "AdobeCS5ServiceManager"
+ "dellsupportcenter"
+ "PDVDDXSrv"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "Google Update"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

When done let me know how the system is running then.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
OK - I unchecked the programs and rebooted. It's fine there. I did not see TFC on your list below. ATF is there.

Questions:

1 I have Eset AV and MAlwarebytes for protection, should I uncheck Windows Defender too, since it might conflict with ESET?

2Do I need the WebCam to be in startup or can I turn it on onlywhen I want to use it?

3 Do I need the HP Digital Monitor on all the time?

4 What is SideBar and do I need it in startup?

As far as TCF is concerned, should I try to find it on the web, or wait for a link?

Thanks for the quick replies and your patience. I will run the other programs when I get your reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look:

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I see. I was looking below and not where it was.

Big problem. TFC might have done too good of a job. I rebooted and now can not access computer. First only wallpaper showed, with no icons, next time only the clock to the right of the usual place for wallpaper and desktop came up.I tried switching to second user on this computer and same thing, only the clock and a blank screen. I am using my main computer to write this. The only thing that works is if I press Microsoft key and L, the sign up screen appears. But when I log on, blank screen and clock.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that would have nothing to do with TFC as it only removes temp files and nothing that would cause this issue. This is something else and what you can try is to get to the advance boot menu where you can choose Last Known Good Configuration That Worked and see if that will get you back to Windows normally then.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
SO, How do I get to AdvancedBoot menu? Tap F8?

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Adding info I tried to start safe mode by pressing F8 and only got Windows Resume Loader with only 2 options
continue with system resume

or

Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

I do not want to make a mistake, so I'm asking choice two will take me where I need to go?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the Brand, Make and Model of your laptop and then I can find the instructions to get to the menu for you.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Dell Inspiron 1545 about 4 yrs old

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything I am finding says F8 is the correct key stroke to get to the boot menu. According to Microsoft's support site this is what you need to do

To resolve this problem, select the Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu option which enables the computer to perform a normal restart, instead of performing the restoration process while the computer is in Hibernate mode.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
TA-DA! All is back to normal. Thanks so much for sticking with this. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear that. Now is the slowing down taken care of also?