Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat, can't log in though.

• Please log in to reply

James Brady

James Brady

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello, I have a laptop computer that I can't log in to, it boots up like normal but when I get to the log in screen I can't type in my password.

This is because some of the characters type twice, and some just don't work. I.E. the m button works like the enter key sometimes, and sometimes I can't turn caps lock off, once because it was controlled by pushing c, and v at once.

I'm not worried about saving anything on it, but can't figure out how to reinstall windows onto it, I have my product key and everything, but the laptop doesn't have a cd drive.

I tried plugging a good keyboard in to type in my password, but it had the same problem, either because some software malfunction, or because interference from the built in keyboard.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the brand name of the laptop?

James Brady

James Brady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Dell

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

James Brady

James Brady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Holding ctrl+F11 didn't do anything for me, but for some reason, the computers working fine now, maybe it was just moisture inside it or something.

Thank you very much anyway though, problem solved!
-James

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

maybe it was just moisture inside it or something.

Did you spill something on it when all this started?

James Brady

James Brady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
nah, just guessing that maybe it was the humidity or something. You think it might have been a virus or something?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I highly doubt it is a virus but maybe a glitch or a faulty motherboard possibly.
If you want to check and make sure it is virus clear you can do the following.

Read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

James Brady

James Brady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well now that I can access it, I'm just gonna reformat it anyway, so if it didn't get fixed then the only possibility left would be a hardware malfunction. In which case I'll get very lazy and give up on it, because I hate working on laptops.

I go though that link you posted though if I need to, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I hope you resolve it with the new installation. :thumbsup: