Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung P28

• Please log in to reply

p71p

p71p

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi,

I am building a laptop for my daughter, it's quite old now but works fine and it's more of an introduction to pc's so don't want to spend a fortune. I need a hard drive for the laptop but i have absoloutly no idea which hard drive i need. I think it will be IDE but could be wrong. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what i need to buy i would very much appreciate it. Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hey there

It took a while but I finally found something that stated what format the HDD is, you are correct it is IDE, I hope you can find a less expensive replacement http://www.newegg.co... ATA100 / ATA-6
Good luck with it.
Specs;

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Cheers mate,

Lol, that's probably more than the laptop is worth. So am i right in thinking i can buy any IDE HDD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yep as long as the specs are the same (including the dimensions) I will have a look for some less expensive HDDS.

http://www.microdire...5--pata-ide-8mb

Best I could find http://www.amazon.co...mputers_title_0
Please confirm compatibility before making any purchase.

Edited by phillpower2, 19 May 2012 - 12:10 PM.
Links added

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
No i'm in the UK mate. I was looking on ebay and found quite a few 2.5" IDE drives but it does get confusing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No i'm in the UK mate. I was looking on ebay and found quite a few 2.5" IDE drives but it does get confusing.

Yep I checked your profile and spotted that so edited my previous reply but it must have been when you were replying unfortunately :whistling:
Added another link to my post #4
Have you got an Xp disk to install an OS on the notebook, what happened to the previous HDD.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Lol, Laptop came to me minus the HDD. I stripped it down and cleaned it up.

I have an XP disc so fingers crossed it's straight forward to load on to a new HDD.

Cheers for your help mate :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and give us a shout if we can be of any further assistance :thumbsup:

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just an update on this. I have tried two good working HDD in the Samsung P28 and on boot up i get the message, operating system not found.

I have gone into bios and reset to default but still get the same message. Starting to think this might be an internal fault - motherboard? :confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Just an update on this. I have tried two good working HDD in the Samsung P28 and on boot up i get the message, operating system not found.

I have gone into bios and reset to default but still get the same message. Starting to think this might be an internal fault - motherboard? :confused:

When you accessed the BIOS was either of the two HDDs you fitted detected - listed there?
Are either of the two HDDs intended as a replacement as in would it matter if they were formatted and Xp installed on it.

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello again mate,

No none of them were detected. I only have the one now but would not matter if it was formatted. Is it possible to format the HDD from bios, this is where my knowledge gets out dated lol.

Edited by p71p, 22 May 2012 - 12:02 PM.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just to add, i changed the boot priority in bios to CD/DVD, inserted the disc but still got the same message on screen?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From your earlier reply;

You will also get this message if the HDD is blank or if the operating system on the HDD is not compatible with the system, this could occur for example with such an older system as the P28 and Window 7 due to there being no W7 drivers available for the P28.
Try powering up with the Xp disk in the CD drive and let us know what happens.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay, drive light comes on, i can hear the disc then nothing and same message on screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please go back into the BIOS and check that the CD drive is still set to boot first.
If the MBs CMOS battery is bad it will not retain the boot sequence on the BIOS chip.