Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Boot After Sleep or Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

MattMiller

MattMiller

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The other day when i went to turn my CQ56 laptop on, it wouldnt boot, just black screen with flashing Caps Lck light indicating CPU failure, but after maybe about 100 times of on and off it eventually booted up and operates normally. If it goes to sleep or hibernate or shut down, it wont boot up again and have to repeat the on-off process multiple times. If the motherboard is bad, will it cause the intermittent boot up or can it be a power supply issure or what? Once its up and running, the speed is fine and no warning messages or anything. I tried formatting the HD, holding power button for 30+ sec w/ battery out, removed and reinserted RAM and HD. Still does the same thing. This is a Win 7 o/s, Compaq presario CQ56 less than a yr and a half old. Find it hard to believe the mobo went bad already. Thanks for any kind of suggestions.

Edited by MattMiller, 19 May 2012 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: MattMiller
What are the temperatures like where you are, can you hear the CPU fan working when this happens.

Check the condition of the battery as in the ability to hold a charge http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c00821536
Troubleshooting guide http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c01443371