Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this computer salvagable?

• Please log in to reply

Duremite

Duremite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so a bit of back story. My step-sister gave my little sister a computer a few months ago and everything they called me they would complain of problems. I was across the country at the time so I couldn't really diagnose what was wrong over the phone. Today I was finally able to take a look at the computer and figured if nothing else I could just return the computer to factory specs as I've done many times before. Turns out that my step-sister downloaded a boot leg Windows 7 Ultimate just before giving the computer to my little sister. There's no restore factory sepcs setting now. I spent about 3 hours browsing various hot keys on the boot screen to no avail.My family can't really afford to go out and buy a copy of Windows 7 so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage this computer? I still see files dated back to when my sister first got the computer so I'm not exactly sure what happened here. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1440. I can provide any other information as needed.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Duremite ... :wave: ..:welcome:
go here to Restore Disks...
get the exact make and model for the computer...it will also have all the needed drivers...
about $25.00

Duremite

Duremite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Duremite ... :wave: ..:welcome:
go here to Restore Disks...
get the exact make and model for the computer...it will also have all the needed drivers...
about $25.00

Thank you. :D I told my mom about this option but she said again that we don't have the money at this time. I've bookmarked the site for when they do however. I really appreciate it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :thumbsup:
in the future there is no need to quote anything...just post your reply...it makes reading the thread much faster without the qouotes