Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezing up, even after fresh install

• Please log in to reply

skk187

skk187

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello.

This is my first post here, and I am hoping to find some assistance for a quite frustating problem:

I recently upgraded my computer as I was having some issues with the old one, and thought it was around that time anyway.

I am running Windows XP.

Now, the problem is that after a given number of minutes in windows, it will freeze up. I get no indication that it is about to freeze, nor is it really noticeable when it actually happends. But once its frozen, clicking on anything on the desktop will do nothing but give me a tiny hoursglass next to the mouse for a few seconds, then it turns back into the normal cursor.

At this point I can do nothing but reset the entire computer.

This happends with a completely fresh windows installation, with nothing else on the computer.

If I continously surf the net, changing sites and pages, ie making the computer work all the time, it seems i can prevent it from freezing for some time, but once I leave it idle for even a few min, its sure to freeze up.

I does freeze no matter what, but browsing seems to put it off a bit.

What stands out the most to me, is the fact that the problem is there already the second i get into windows for the very first time after a fresh install.

Now, here are a few of the things I have done to try and find out what it is:

- running without floppy and CD drives
- checked temps
- changing RAM (tried switching the slots, running 1 stick at the time, as well as completely new RAM)
- changing HD
- changing Vid card (Switched between Gforce ti4600 128mb and my new Raedon x800 pro 256mb)
- changing powersupply (went from 230 or 300, cant remember, to 400w)
- Both sides of the computer are off, and a big floor fan is blowing directly into the machine supporting the existing fans.

My system now is:
AMD semp 2800+
Asrock k7 MB
1 gig of Ram (Think i bought kingston)
Raedon x800 pro 256mb
Maxtor 120gb HD
Onboard sound and Lan (I use the onboard lan, so I am using zero slots, cept for the Vid card)

Its all brand new, and seeing as I dont havent anything installed, cept windows, and seeing as I cleaned and reinstalled tons of times with the same result, I didnt see a need to look for vira etc, as I cant see how the same exact thing should be getting on my HD even before I hit the desktop for the first time.

This also indicates to me, that it cant really be driver related.

I have the most updated version of my MB's BIOS as well. However, I did not change anything at all in my BIOS after buying my new system cept 1 thing, and that was that frequency. I had to set that up a little to get the full Mhz from my processor. Is there anything in BIOS that should be set that i possibly havent, that could make this happend?

I can get through the entire windows install it self without freezing, but as soon as i get into windows it self and either start DL'ing windows updates or installing drivers, it will start randomly freezing up

I am quite desperate at this point, and any feedback will be greatly appriciated.

My last hope was the power supply, but after buying a new one today and still having the same problem, I am out of ideas.

Lastely, I appologies if my english is hurting anyones eyes, im afraid its not my native language.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisements

PsypherPunk

PsypherPunk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
You might want to try lowering the frequency your CPU is running at. i also have an AsRock MoBo and apparently they has something called U-COP (Universal CPU Overheating Protection) built it. i read elsewhere it can cause systems to freeze even when the temperature isn't that high.

Not sure how to get around it at this point but if you can identify it as the problem...