Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need some repair help

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Only AFTER you have copied all your docs and settings files BUT not the NTLDR etc to the new user profile

Do NOT copy the folders only the files within them

as indeed my good colleague rashaffer61 said

you do the Parallel installation and move the data over, then you make sure everything is working properly. Once all that is done you can then delete the old installation and everything boots to the new installation

rshaffer61 - SORRY typed and posted before your last was visible

You MAY BREAK the loop by entering recovery console and using the cmd prompt for a system restore point, but it is large IF, in my opinion, and you may end up worse off than you are now

I DO APPRECIATE that this does not help you NOW but this is the reason why a repair install on a new motherboard frequently fails

Changing motherboard is a massive hardware change, triggering hardware signature problems. Motherboard has new on board IDE/SATA controllers, on board USB is a different model and serial number, ditto for PCI controller, PCIe, networking, audio, etc.

Completely re-installing XP has the same effect of sysprep: re-reading anew all the hardware. The "Repair" function may do that, but with a new motherboard, the repair procedure see the system as a totally different computer and fails because 'Repair' means repair 'the original PC'

sysprep - as on the previous link I sent

Advertisements

materene

materene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK I follow you, it is installing now,this is probably the best way to do this I'm sure. I would still have to reinstall all those programs even if I had reformatted. I can live with that since the bulk of my important stuff is what I don't want to loose and a lot of that I can just copy to a new external next week. Now if I can just find all my program disc, I use the Forest Gump filing system for all my cd's :0)

I'll give some feedback soon as it completes and all my nice new drivers are installed. I was limping through using 1GB ram running photoshop and a lot other things that needed the new motherboard and 3.5GB's of ram. I also bought a second board same as this one and have windows 7 ultimate 64 on it, so all my problems will soon be gone.

materene

materene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Everything is fine now with a clean system, however trying to install fresh programs that are the same as ones on the original windows xp are trying to install to the original programs folder, I thought I might rename it so they can't see it but I get no option to change the name since it is probably protected. I do not see a second programs folder for the new windows install. How do you work around this and install programs already on the old install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reinstall the programs back into the original folders so that it will register in the new registry.

materene

materene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I see, so the system is still using that original programs folder and I have no other with the parallel install. Do those programs still show up on remove programs and is that how I would delete them safely if I didn't want to use a certain program still showing in programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to check add remove and see if they are there.

materene

materene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all the help, I did look and no the originals are not there. I installed my firewall and it works fine and is a duplicate install still on the old system. So I'm just going to take my time and install things I want to use and take advantage of the space and not use programs that I don't need. I still plan on getting the external coming week so I can keep this original system and get my space back. This system is a poor mans budget one, I use CS2 and a lot of game engines, my old board developed a controller problem and would not let you use the two stick of ram it normally used, 1GB was not enough with so many services loading it was a constant battle trying to free up enough memory to do anything. Surprisingly photoshop never balked, but now I can use my cs4 with the extra memory. This processor is a celeron 351 3.20, one of the best poor mans cpu's to come from Intel. This new board will take just about anything I want to use, I'm thinking about the 3.80 single core, that would really help this system, plus I can take advantage of the 800FSB rather than this 533 on the 351. I think I'm going to be very happy with this motherboard, it has a jam up onboard audio, not as great as my old creative labs 5.1 platinum but the only way I can use that old card is to use the open source KD project drivers, I don't like the way it sounds and far too complicated to set up. I now have two motherboards and computers using this same board, this one and the other is a 64bit windows 7. I still need a better graphics card and cpu for the 64bit machine, next week for that ;0)

Thanks to everyone for all the help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am glad it all worked out for you and that everything is now working. Please let us know if there is anything further we can help you with. :thumbsup:

materene

materene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I will, using my machine now, like driving a new car..........well almost! :lol: