Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help building my first gaming rig (NZXT phantom + rampage 4

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

can I take out the fans and leave the heatsink?

No, the airflow is needed to remove the heat from the tower fins.

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Oh Ok... I just realized that the GPU was still running even tho I removed the cable from the power supply.. I think its my gpu that is noisy. I bought it used. Tomorrow I will remove the card completely to confirm. Thanks for all your help..

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just downloadable the installation instruction, (still not improved from mine) very hard to read.
carefully check you have installed it correctly remove the LGA775 rubber inlay, the 140 fan blows into the tower, the 120 centre fan blows in the same direction, out of the tower.

the GPU was still running even tho I removed the cable from the power supply

That is how it should be, some power and control is supplied through the slot.

use the installed software from the Mobo installation CD to control fans and temperature thresholds.
If you feel the Noctua is still very noisy, look at warranty, Support and FAQ, at the end of the instructions.

Edited by iammykyl, 08 June 2012 - 07:44 AM.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ok I fixed the problem.. It was some pch fan that was running 100% but I changed it to auto. New problem: NO SOUND :( .. I called asus and they say the board is bad but I had sound last night and now its gone. Please help.

EDIT: I just realized how unintelligible this post is. Sorry I was kinda freaking out. At this point im 99% sure my board has a problem. When I first set it up the sound was working fine and since today after I installed a wifi card and a 2TB hdd, all I am hearing is a static like sound (almost like air from a fan).. at the moment, I am getting sound thru my gpu.

All I run is a sub woofer and 2 speakers, and the graphic card seems to handle them fine. I really hate RMA'ing stuff and I will have to pay shipping so I am asking you guys if you think I should pay to send it back or should keep it going with the GPU or a sound card

Edited by kung lao, 08 June 2012 - 11:11 PM.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
update: I have decided to stick with my mobo despite the dead on-board sound. I reviewed the retailers return policies/warranty and its simply too much hassle for me to pay over $50 to send it off and wait two weeks to get it looked at and possibly sent back as is. Also I don't want to take the thing apart, I was really nervous about installing the cpu and heatsink and I dont want to do it again.

I have thoroughly checked all software and hardware possibilities to the point where I re-installed windows and tried a bare bone setup with only the cpu and heatsink. I still heard static through the speakers and headphones.

Currently I am using my gtx 570 to get sound via the monitor where I plugged in my speakers. I don't really like this fix as I only need one monitor for the desktop and the one I use has no hdmi.

Could you guys suggest another sound solution that will deliver sound at the same or better quality than my mobo. I am open to usb headsets sound cards adapters etc.. I really didn't want to use up any extra slots as my gpu and wifi take up 4 slots leaving me with 3 and I plan on adding another 570 when I can afford it. If you guys think a sound card is the best option, please suggest a quality one slot card.

Thanks guys.

ps, even tho my build is done I will post a list of parts in the near future

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
sorry you have problems. You may already have tried these.

Are you sure that your speakers and leads are in good working order.
Check in device manager for the yellow or red flags.
Check in the BOIS that the correct sound codecs are selected.
Check the sound header socket and the plug and wires from the case to make sure there are no bent pins or bared cable.

I would complain bitterly to ASUS.
I would leave a stinking review on Newegg
In both cases I would point out the cost to you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just making sure,
In your manual, Chapter 2, Page 11, Have you got the HD plug from the case front wiring plugged into the HD socket on the Mobo and does that match with HD in the BOIS?

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for replying iammykyl

- Checked speakers and headphones, same problem
- No flags in device manager
- Don't know how to select codecs in BIOS. I will check it after this post

Check the sound header socket and the plug and wires from the case to make sure there are no bent pins or bared cable

I don't think there is a problem with the case connector because I get the same problem with the mobo jack

Just making sure,
In your manual, Chapter 2, Page 11, Have you got the HD plug from the case front wiring plugged into the HD socket on the Mobo and does that match with HD in the BOIS?

Yes, I did this. However when I first started up I had the ac97 plugged in but HD selected in bios and it was working. Could this have caused a problem?

I hate cramming so much in to one post but I am considering a sound card and my pci-e slot is used up with a wifi card. Would you suggest returning the wifi, getting a dongle then using a sound card in the pci-e slot?

Thanks a million I really appreciate your efforts

EDIT: I am about to contact ASUS about the issue as well

Edited by kung lao, 11 June 2012 - 01:08 AM.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok. Here is a list of all the parts in my build:

CASE: NZXT Phantom Red $120

MOTHERBOARD: asus rampage 4 extreme $425

CPU: intel i7 3820 $296

GPU: Asus GTX 570 Direct CU ii $200(used)

PSU: Antec HCG 900 $131

ODD: Asus blu-ray r/w drive $99

SSD: Patriot Pyro 120 GB $115

HDD: seagate barracuda 2TB $109

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X $50

COOLER: Noctua nh-d14 se2011 $70

TOTAL: $1,616
Grand Total: $1800

Edit: Screenshot

Posted Image

Edited by kung lao, 11 June 2012 - 02:55 PM.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Can someone suggest a good pci-e sound card for $50-70 preferably 7.1 but not a must. I just want something on par with my on board sound. If you think that I can get best value at a higher price then I will consider it but nothing over $100. I can't find many reviews on sound cards so I am relying on the knowledge of the members of this forum. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I may chime in with a couple of things to check;

Ensure that the MBs audio chip is enabled in the BIOS.
Check that the add on video cards audio is not set to default, see below

Go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and then to the Sound Panel.
In the Playback section, click on the Speaker icon then click on "Set as Default".

FWIW. Good quality modern MBs have very good audio chips that are more than capable of providing the sound that you require, if you are able to enable your MBs audio chip consider adding a good quality speaker system if you do not already have one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Kung Iao.
I had run out of ideas, so asked Phillpower2 for some input.
Did you get any response from Asus?

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Kung Iao.
I had run out of ideas, so asked Phillpower2 for some input.
Did you get any response from Asus?

I just contacted them this morning because last time my wifi card was acting up. They said they will reply within 48 hours.

Ensure that the MBs audio chip is enabled in the BIOS.
Check that the add on video cards audio is not set to default, see below

Go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and then to the Sound Panel.
In the Playback section, click on the Speaker icon then click on "Set as Default".

Yes, the chip is enabled.
I have also made sure that the speaker is the default option.

I think something different happened this time; I only started hearing the static when windows started up. Maybe it was because I had HDMI as default? I will keep speakers default and restart again.

Also. When I adjust the sound slider to its minimum position, there is no more static.

FWIW. Good quality modern MBs have very good audio chips that are more than capable of providing the sound that you require, if you are able to enable your MBs audio chip consider adding a good quality speaker system if you do not already have one.

I have no doubt that the MBs sound will satisfy my needs as all I am running are Logitech speakers and a corsair HS1A headset. However, if I am to get a sound card I want to get something with similar or better performance. For now though, I will try to resolve the problem with the assistance of the forum. Purchasing a sound card is a last resort.

Edit: grammar

Edited by kung lao, 12 June 2012 - 09:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Currently I am using my gtx 570 to get sound via the monitor where I plugged in my speakers

When you fit an add on video card that has an HDMI port it disables the onboard audio unless the setting is changed in the BIOS.
Do you have the options in your BIOS to select audio as Onboard or Auto?
If you do make sure that you select onboard and not auto, once selected save (F10) and then Y to accept the changes.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
There are no such options in my bios. I only have the option to enable or disable on-board audio.