Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help building my first gaming rig (NZXT phantom + rampage 4

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I cannot find a user manual for your video card so I cannot say how you do this but can you go into the cards settings and disable the audio device/channels, shutdown, plug your speaker connection/s into the MBs onboard audio socket/s, reboot and see how that works out, if no joy see guidance below please;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry I took so long to reply.. I was trying to get IE9 but i keep getting this error in the update centre 80092004. I also tried downloading from MS still wont install, diabled anti-virus still no luck.

Anyway here is the URL from the pit: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24953452

2 concerns:

1) both my monitors are 1080 but it reports one as being 1600*1200
2) Why is my disk performance so low? I think it was performing better in my laptop than it is in my rig

Also; I went and got the Xonar DSX. I was on sale and I read good things.
Verdict it is amazing! I personally think it sounds better than my on-board sound(when it was working), but maybe it's all in my head. Still happy with the purchase though. It works wonders on my HS1A headset, I am talking perfomance I didn't think possible with this headset and music still sounds crystal clear at very high volume.

Edit: somehow posted before i fiished typing :S

Edit 2: Whaaa? fragmentation on SSD?? Didn't think it was possible with no moving parts. Or did I get one of those hybrid things by mistake. Highly doubt it and im sure that with a hard disk windows would have sheduled defragmentations.

Edited by kung lao, 16 June 2012 - 11:40 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

1) both my monitors are 1080 but it reports one as being 1600*1200

Look in your Catalyst Control Center, adjust setting if required.

Why is my disk performance so low? I think it was performing better in my laptop than it is in my rig

When you installed the SSD, Did you select ICHR , in the BIOS? Did you update the Firmware? Did you install the latest driver from Microsoft.?
Have a look through this tutorial. Take care when optimizing, It can be taken to extremes, and break the system. One I would do, move the my docs to the Date drive.
Defrag should be disable for a SSD.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I think you forgot the link.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry about that. It's a start to finish guide.

> http://www.overclock...e-for-ssds-hdds

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the guide dude. After I finish backing up my steam content I will see if its worth re-installing windows in the way the author of the article suggests. Do you have any guides for optimizing SLI? I got my second 570 yesterday.

I know I am supposed to use 2 x16 slots but thats not possible for if I want adequate cooling. Also, regarding my case, do u think a side 230mm fan would be a good idea with 2 gpus?

EDIT: Also in the guide, he says we can use AHCI or RAID with IRST. Which do you think is better? Currently I am using AHCI and the performance is ok but nothing to write home about.

Edited by kung lao, 19 June 2012 - 06:19 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I have found that side fans can interfere with good airflow through the case and may lead to higher temps. The only way to tell is to fit a fan and then monitor.
Use AHCI. do some of the optimization tweaks.

the performance is ok but nothing to write home about

Are you referring to load times, general performance or game play?

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok I did the full optimazation except for the very advance stuff (didn't think it was vital to performance) + a secure erase of both drives in parted magic. HOLY SMOKES, it really helped. ssd score jumped from 7.7 to 7.9 in W.E.I and is generally much more faster. I installed the wither 2 on the ssd just see if it would change the long load times and indeed it did. I wont't put anymore games on there since the space is limited and I also intend to install Windows 8 on the same ssd. Thanks a million for your help and this guide, you are awesome. I will try the side fan because my xonar dsx is blocking one of the fans on my asus card and it is at 38 degrees just using the desktop and browsing the web. I took a screenshot while I was typing this post. Do you think these temps are acceptable? Nothing is overclocked.

Posted Image

ps. The Sceond Card

Edited by kung lao, 21 June 2012 - 09:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Unfortunately your screen shot does not work. Get your temps again on screen.
Use the full G2G editor.
How to take a screen shot.

click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between theF12 key and the Scroll Lock key

Now go to Start and then to All Programs Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint

In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V

Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as

Save as file type JPEGand save it to your Desktop

Attach the file to your next post.

Edited by iammykyl, 24 June 2012 - 08:18 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Don't know how far you have advanced with installing your second GPU. For best results, install the GPU with the fastest clock speed in the primary slot, usually the closest to the CPU.

Did you partition the second HDD?
Did you move the My Docs folder?

Some options for Steam. I have not used any of the programs in the Wike, so a little cation and some research. >http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Steam

When you have the SSD set as you want it, remember to take a drive image.

Edited by iammykyl, 25 June 2012 - 04:05 AM.

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes I partitioned the second Drive into programs and storage. Programs has a Win7 folder and Win8. Storage has all the library folders: Music , Downloads, Docs etc. I took an image of the ssd after installing all the update and anti-virus.

Are base temps supposed to be higher for SLI?? how do go about overclocking or underclocking in sli? when I change the clocks ony the top one changes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry to say kung lao that the finer points of overclocking I would be unable to help you with.
I suggest you browse some of the overclocking sites and seek help there.

Look for advice from long standing members with heaps of posts, be careful, there are some craaaazy people cruising around.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay not that i have much to bring to the table, but yes the temps go up when you go SLI. To put it plainly, the more stuff you put in your case, the warmer it gets.
I would suggest you get that additional side fan NZXT has to offer, it'll draw some nice cool air to your GFXs.

Maybe you'll find the help you need here?

Look for advice from long standing members with heaps of posts, be careful, there are some craaaazy people cruising around.

Yes, if they post "woot! 1500mhz OC gtx 560" and then go silent for a month, don't trust their advice :lol:

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the tips guys.. What I want to do is underclock my card(s) because my asus card goes up top 85 degrees playing the witcher 2 but at around 85 fps on ultra without ubersampling. I dont need all that performance so I thought if I could downclock I could reduce some heat. I will do somemore research on the topic.

To put it plainly, the more stuff you put in your case, the warmer it gets.
I would suggest you get that additional side fan NZXT has to offer, it'll draw some nice cool air to your GFXs.

i understand this. I should have probably said that when SLI is disabled in the control panel both cards idle at under 40 degrees. So I just enable it when I am gaming. Also does anyone know if I can specify which card I want to be the primary one and not just use the one thats in the first slot. I want to do this because my asus card is a bit air-deprived thanks to the sound card sitting right below it and this is the only way I can set it up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Also does anyone know if I can specify which card I want to be the primary one and not just use the one thats in the first slot.

I have not come across a way to alter primary and slave.

It used to be with SLI that if you had two cards with different clock speeds, the faster card would downgrade to the slower card BUT this is no longer the case, they will not run at their own clocks. Try swapping the cards around and see how it performs.