Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just bought a NEW Gaming desktop NEED YOUR HELP!

• Please log in to reply

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, so there is this computer place that's really cool i have done upgrades there before and their widely known for their custom rigs. So i decided to get a budget build for $600!! When i went there to pick her up he showed me the desktop running and played a game. He packed it into a box and gave it to me. When i got home i plugged her up and clicked the switch. the desktop came on with all of her shiny lights. But the disk drive didn't open. i tried on my monitor but no picture would show. i even tried my hdmi cord to my TV still nothing. What do i do? Hes not open till Tuesday... any quick solutions?
Thanks!!!
SPECS:

Mother Board Asus amd
Processor Amd dual core 3.0 ghz
Memory 2 gigs
Hard Drive 300 gigs
Hard drive 500 gigs
Graphics Card Gtx 460
CD/DVD (1) Dvd r/w
CD/DVD (2)
Fans
CPU Fan
Sound Card On board
Card Reader
Cathode Lights
Power Supply Bfg 600 watt
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Printer
Accessories
Operating System Windows 7

Edited by John Blue Raven Games, 26 May 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The safest thing to do is leave it until the retailer is open and take it back as you risk voiding your warranty if you open up the case.

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
its a custom build there isnt any specific warranty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

its a custom build there isnt any specific warranty.

It is a question of whether you believe the retailer will put the PC right if they know that you have been tinkering!
It is not uncommon for internal components or connections to come free when a PC is being transported, the quality of the packaging (or lack of it) and how the machine was handled on route are to blame most of the time when things don`t work when they arrive.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
Check that all connections from the PSU to the MB and other components are connected securely.
Remove and reseat the add on video card securely, do the same with your Ram stick/s.
Check the case for any stray screws or bared wires that may be causing a short.
When you are happy that everything is as it should be reassemble the system and see if it will boot up and if the disk drive will open and close, if the drive doesn`t open it may just be sticky so gently open it manually with a paper clip, step by step guide @ http://pcsupport.abo...ht/ppdropen.htm

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Still nothing but i did fix the dvd drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What is the brand and model of the screen you are using.
Have you checked the video cable that you are using for signs of damage and in particular the pins in the end connections, make sure none are bent.
How did you fix the DVD drive.

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i have tried multiple monitors and bought a new one today 23 inch AOC brand. i fixed the dvd drive. there was a undone cord. so i put it back in. Now the drive works fine. still cant make the desktop have its screen signal though.... any thoughts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Does your video card have 2 X 6 pin power connections from the PSU and if so are they both connected.