Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor freezes, reboot fixes

• Please log in to reply

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Hey all,

I am help desk support at my work and we have a computer that out of nowhere started getting mouse/cursor freezing issues. The computer has Windows 7, has not any any recent hardware additions or software installations. Malwarebytes and Nod32 scans come back clean.
  • I removed the mouse driver and reinstalled, no luck still freezes.
  • Checked to make sure the latest video card drivers were there.
  • My next move is to check the event logs and see if I can see an error get thrown

The mouse is connected using the PS/2 connection, not usb. When it freezes, plugging in another mouse does not unfreeze the cursor. Keyboard still works, the cursor simply locks. If you have a suggestion it would be most appreciated. I have company permission to take advice from this forum in resolving this issue.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does it happen if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking?

So it's only the mouse pointer that freezes? You can still do things via the keyboard, like pressing the Windows key and getting the Start Menu?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...Ztruker there was no replies when I started typing my response

first just try a usb mouse with no ps/2 mouse connected...
hot swapping the ps/2 plugs can make those ports unusable

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I have not tested it in safe mode w/networking as it only happens maybe once or twice daily (in a 8-hour work-day).

The keyboard works fine when the cursor freezes. I still have a functional computer, just have to remember the keyboard shortcuts for everything. :happy:

Happyrock,

I will set up a USB mouse on that computer and see how that runs for a day. I will keep you posted.

Edited by Tim_the_WIzard, 29 May 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Pacoje

Pacoje

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had problem like that: mouse pointer freezed after couple of minutes after startup, but the mouse was still 'working' (Just couldn't see where the cursor went...)
I reinstalled mouse drivers: no succes. Another (working) mouse: no succes.
Finally I reinstalled graphics card driver (even though I had last one already installed): Everything went back to normal with a working optical mouse.

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Well thanks to everyone that offered help. The user has since stopped complaining about freezing after these last two steps were applied:

• Reinstalled video card driver
  • Install USB mouse

Jondee38

Jondee38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I came to 'Geeks to go" looking for info about a cursor that freezes and hangs. the info I received was download latest driver and software for A lOGITECH Performance MX Mouse......which I did. AND it worked. All my cursor problems are gone....Thanks to Geeks To Go web site. Thank you'll. Jondee38 :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Jondee38

We are pleased to hear that you have resolved your computer issue/s and thanks for letting us know that information that you found at GTG helped you :thumbsup: