Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Left Click on Laptop not Working

• Please log in to reply

hoosgirl

hoosgirl

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

All of a sudden today my left click on my Sony Vaio laptop stopped working. The rest of the touchpad and the right click work, as well as the keyboard, so it's not like I can't use it, but it is very annoying!

I tried checking the driver, reinstalling, running Vaio Care, and nothing worked.

So I went and changed the mouse properties from right handed to left. So now the right click works as the main clicker, but the left won't right click (hope that made sense). But hopefully that helps narrow things down a bit.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hoosgirl...

Sounds like the touchpad or touchpad cable is bad. I ran into a very similar problem on an Acer laptop recently...a new touchpad cable resolved the issue.

The fact that you can reconfigure the device and the left button remains dysfunctional would lead me to suspect the touchpad itself.

wannabe1

hoosgirl

hoosgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks! Any advice as to what I should do next? Can you point me towards anyplace for fixing the touchpad and/or cable? Or do I just need to take it in somewhere? Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unless you are real comfortable about disassembling a laptop, I'd recommend you take it to a reputable repair shop in your area.

If the machine is still under a manufacturer warranty or an extended warranty plan, contact Sony and see if they have an authorized warranty service center near you that can do it.