Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS Jumper, Booting Problems, BIOS Passwords...

• Please log in to reply

killerkris182

killerkris182

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay so I have this laptop that everyone has given up on except me because I need a computer for music production. It's an Acer Aspire 3610. The issue with this computer is that Windows won't boot up and there's a password on the BIOS. I've disconnected the CMOS battery, at least what I think it is. I've done it with the battery in and out. So far the BIOS has not restarted. I just recently learned how to do this in an attempt to revive my old desktop which also had the problem of not booting Windows. I learned what the CMOS battery was and how the jumper works for shorting the circuit and resetting BIOS. I was successful and installed Ubuntu on it, but the hard drive was no good. So my problem here is I don't know where the jumper is to short the circuit if there is one, and there's a BIOS password that no one seems to know. I can provide links to a master key gen I used, and the service manual which was of no use to me. Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

killerkris182

killerkris182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was reading that on another post, but thanks for your time. On another note, that desktop I mentioned before Ubuntu's thing told me that my hard drive had bad sectors, if I partitioned it would that help the problem?

EDIT: Could you at least tell me if I have hope or should I just smash the Acer?

Edited by killerkris182, 31 May 2012 - 02:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest running hard drive diagnostics by doing the following.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 26 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

killerkris182

killerkris182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not sure what I did but my desktop just stopped working altogether. I checked all the power cords and everything and I think It just gave up on me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a possible power supply or motherboard issue.
When you turn the system on do you get any hint of power at all like a light comes on or a fan starts to turn then stops?

killerkris182

killerkris182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope, nothing. I hear the power supply turn on when I plug it in. But that's it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the power supply continue to run as in the fan inside it keeps turning or does it shutdown right away?