Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alienware M17x R3, a dozen of problems.

• Please log in to reply

MilesJT

MilesJT

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
First of all, nice to meet everyone.

The First thing I am going to say, DELL Sucks.

Now, if you guys have time to read, please spend a couple minutes, I would be thankful for that. But if you don't please scroll to the bottom for the real deal.

I ordered Alienware over $3000 and waited 2 months for it, Dell delayed my order 3 times and it was broken on the first day it arrive to me and I have to waited another month and a half for replacing motherboard which cost me $300 before I even get to use this laptop.

After it arrive to me. Random Blue Screen happened, it's something about ptdumdm.sys but that is fixed now, at least I hope so since it doesn't happen anymore.

The Second was Webcam which I tried about an hour looking solution online to make it work.

The Third one was Nvidia 3D Vision which led me to uninstall and re-install Nvidia driver over 100 times. Later I found out about updating Bios to be above A06, mine is now A10.

The Fourth One was wireless adapter. I can't access internet through wireless. Intel Driver Utilities show that it detect my adapter wireless killer 1103n but says that the adapter is not support. I tried update the driver from many site, but it's working now, except it unstable, sometime I can connect, sometime I can't and when run trouble shooting, it say "Problem found with adapter or access point". I tried to follow that Dell by do a factory reset which I have done 3 times now. but the same problem happen, so I learn to just accept it that way.

Like I said, it working on and off, this evening I tried to connect to internet, it's was connected but were no internet access so I run diagnose tool to help, it's something about DHCP was disabled and it's enabled automatically. About a 10sec later my laptop get a blue screen something about tcpip.sys

Can anyone help me?
The Problems are:

-Random Blue Screen (tcpip.sys)
-When run Intel Driver Update Utilities both VGA and Wireless adaptor say "Adaptor is not support".

Though the VGA is seem working fine, except whenever I run full screen PowerDVD 10, it toggled back to classic theme but went back to Aero theme after I close PowerDVD.
Is this count as a problem? And why Intel says this VGA is not supported? I update the driver to 301.

The Wireless is sometime connect, some time doesn't which seem ok to me that Intel show the wireless adapter is not support.

My Specs:

Nvidia GTX 580m (2GB)
Ram 1600 8GB
CPU : Core i7 2860 2.5Hz (8mb Cache)
BR-Dvd
Resolution 1920 x 1080 120Hz
Window 7 Home

Please, somebody help me...

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi MilesJT ... :wave: ..:welcome:
whats the make and model number...
is it still under warranty...
if so you should send it back to them and let them sort it out...

download and install WhoCrashed from here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a

tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop

icon
..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then

finish
...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because

this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from

below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be

extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply..

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you so much, HappyRock.

My my laptop is under warranty but I live in Cambodia which has no support for Alienware.
I already transferred my warranty from USA to Asia (Maysia). I send my laptop there for replacing Motherboard, they didn't charge me anything except I spend 300$ for sending it there and pay the DHL to send it back to me.

Can you give me a link to download WhoCrashed?

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks again.

My Alienware is M17x R3 (3D).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep its here...
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d7442.html

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, I know it's long but since I don't know which is the answer you looking for, so I kind of copy everything.

Home Edition Notice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which also allows analysis of crashdumps on remote drives and computers on the network and offers a range of additional features.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)

computer name: MILES-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8570875904 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1898516480

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Is this picture show signs correctly?

1.My VGA is working fine except when I shutdown Laptop in Battery Mode, when I open it, it open with a screen resolution around 800x600. After I restart it, it's fine again. Whenever open PowerDVD 10, it go back to classic theme and went back to Aero theme after I close PowerDVD 10.

2.Wireless sometime connect and working fine. Sometime it doesn't and when troubleshooting it say "Problem found with adapter or access point".

3.Audio is working fine, except sometime when open the window, the speaker icon has a little red cross, that is a sign of telling no audio device found but the sound is working fine though.

http://www.mediafire...yi35cv3f86g.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• missing drivers.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try a different tool...
Please download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
Double-click VEW.exe
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here is the notepad

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm going to paste it in this reply for you...
Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 06/06/2012 12:40:09 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/05/2012 1:52:18 PM
Type: Critical Category: 0
Event: 2 Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
The application (Windows Media Technologies, from vendor Microsoft) was hard-blocked and raised the following: This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with or has been superseded by this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/05/2012 1:30:22 PM
Type: Critical Category: 0
Event: 2 Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
The application (Windows Media Technologies, from vendor Microsoft) was hard-blocked and raised the following: This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with or has been superseded by this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site.

'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:37:42 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/06/2012 8:41:51 AM
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application name: PowerDVD10.exe, version: 10.0.3715.0, time stamp: 0x4f12c013 Faulting module name: LightFX.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d94e42c Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0fff1100 Faulting process id: 0x1054 Faulting application start time: 0x01cd42f520a27e59 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PowerDVD10.exe Faulting module path: LightFX.dll Report Id: 4b19cb55-aeea-11e1-96af-7a8020000200

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/06/2012 8:16:00 AM
Event: 8193 Source: System Restore
Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe; Description = Windows Modules Installer; Error = 0x80070422).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/06/2012 8:16:00 AM
Event: 8193 Source: System Restore
Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs; Description = Windows Update; Error = 0x80070422).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 05/06/2012 8:08:54 AM
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/06/2012 11:37:21 AM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/05/2012 12:39:55 PM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/05/2012 1:32:48 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/05/2012 12:29:31 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/05/2012 5:46:12 AM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:38:43 AM
Event: 36887 Source: Schannel
The following fatal alert was received: 42.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:38:33 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:38:33 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:38:18 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/06/2012 5:38:17 AM

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first run chkdsk /r

HOW TO RUN CHKDSK /R ON WINDOWS VISTA and 7

http://www.w7forums....-disk-t448.html

put a check in both boxes
automatically fix file system errors
scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
then click on start...

you will receive a message asking if you wish to schedule a scan. Accepting this will perform the scan next time you restart your PC

click on y and press enter then reboot

this can take a long time and can appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more ...let it run even if it takes 5 hours to complete

then go here...
either put in the service tag number located on the bottom of the laptop
or put a tick in No
Automatically detect my Service Tag for me download and install all the drivers that screenshot says you need but start with the chipset driver first and this is important...reboot after installing each driver before installing the next one...

exactly how are you shutting down your computer

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do I need to remove my previous driver first or make a new install or an update???

About the Check Disk Error, I never did it.

But for removing a problem, then shut down, then install, then shut down then open it again. I did that many times, for my Modem driver, my network driver and for my VGA driver.

And when going to dell, there many version and many driver for just one hardware appears. How do I know the right one is?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should run chkdsk /r prior to installing any drivers...that way if there are bad sectors windows will mark them as bad and won't try to write the drivers to a bad sector which will just cause more problems if it does...
after downloading the graphics driver uninstall the old one first then install the new one reboot the install the chipset driver
go here and get Speccy ...install it...then run it...uncheck add a start menu short cut...then click install...finish
on the left side click on each item...then note the name of the hardware name then go back and select the newest driver for that device...

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did everything.

I did factory reset. Check DSK. And boot into safemood and install VGA Driver. Shut down.

Open again (Normal Mode) and then install network driver from Dell site.

Everything is fine now, except wireless is still restrict to some networks, some networks I could connect easily but some I just can't. And one of the networks that i was be able to connect, right now I can't connect.
Same problem found (problem with adapter or access point).

And the same thing with Intel Driver Utilities. Bother VGA and Wireless shown to be unknown or not support.

About VGA, I contact NVIDIA. they told me to remove their driver and install intel standard vga graphic driver which is I can't seem to find it anywhere.

After I remove my VGA driver NVIDIA, I try to search for driver via driver identifier but the recommendations are NVIDIA drivers.

Can you help me find Intel Standard VGA Diver???

NVIDIA told me to install intel driver first and then install nvidia driver later.

I heard this from my friend about a laptop bought from USA, some of their security was build that only allow to connect to some certain networks.

If I can't connect some networks and able to connect to other networks. It would be ok, except that I can't connected to networks that I already connected and use often over a week. suddenly i just can't connect anymore.

anymore advice???

dell is not useful at all.

i gone to their support site, using recommendation drivers. all they can find for me is 5 video's drivers that are old.

+nVidia-Driver R308310.exe (182MB)Recommended 8/02/2011 version 269.03, A01
+nVidia-Driver R308308.exe (182MB)Recommended 7/28/2011 version 269.03, A01
+nVidia-Driver NVIDIA_GEFORCE-GTX-460M_A01_R300038.exe (180MB)Recommended 4/19/2011 version 267.64, A01
+nVidia-Driver NVIDIA_INTERNAL-3D-STEREO-CO_A00_R291236.exe (1MB)Recommended 1/24/2011 version 266.08, A00
+nVidia-Driver NVIDIA_NOTEBOOK-BETA-DRIVER-_P08_R318652.exe (242MB)10/31/2011 version 285.62, P08

and i did try to installed version 269.03 for GTX 580 downloaded from dell site.

nothing was changed, when to go intel driver utiliies the same problem happens. VGA is unknown or not support!!!

Why???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Everything is fine now, except wireless is still restrict to some networks, some networks I could connect easily but some I just can't. And one of the networks that i was be able to connect, right now I can't connect.

I am confused...are you having display issues...

what browser are you using...if its IE...download firefox and install it then try connecting to the internet...get it here...

MilesJT

MilesJT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No, I am talking about connecting to a wireless network. My adapter is Killer N-1103

I was at T&C Restaurant, T&C meaning Tea and Coffee.

At first, I was unable to connect to their wireless, so I went around searching for driver. Finally it worked. But I lost that driver now, due to trying to upgrade other driver, my computer was unable to start and I had to do a factory reset AGAIN.

Anyway, after the wireless was working. I tried to connect it to a new network, I went to 3 places and all connection were successful.

After using internet for a while at a Chinese Vegetarian Food Restaurant. I had another blue screen. something about DHCP or something familiar like.

After it restart, it asked me to do a troubleshooting the problem which I did and found about DHCP was disabled. And then another window appear saying DHCP is enabled. After it enable, it work with network only, I can only connect that Chinese restaurant only. I can't connect to other networks, as of T&C which I used to connect there often and at my friend's house...