Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd tray wont close

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
The cd tray on my HP Compaq DC5750 wont stay closed.It opens & closes,just wont stay closed. I did a virus scan as well as a malware ect scan.Can anyone please help me? Please & thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Hi saraveza408

Couple of questions for you;
Did this just start happening or has the drive had a physical knock or been pushed in manually leading up to this?
If you disconnect all power will the drive stay closed if you gently push it in and open again if you insert a straightened paper clip into the small hole** on the front of the drive?

**This activates the drive tray internal locking device.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Ive had this computer about a week & I got it fromn a friend.Its been doing this since the 1st time I turned it on.It opens & closes on its own when i turn it on but then it stays open even when I shut down.I tried the paperclip thing & the green light on it blinked a few times then it opened again.The button does make it open & close but it just opens again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts

I tried the paperclip thing & the green light on it blinked a few times then it opened again

I suggested doing this when the computer was shut down and disconnected from all power including the wall socket, there should be no blinking green light when completely disconnected from the power;

If you disconnect all power will the drive stay closed if you gently push it in and open again if you insert a straightened paper clip into the small hole** on the front of the drive?

I am trying to establish if the drives locking device is broken (hardware) or if the computer set up is not right (software).

Please confirm when you did the test that I suggested.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok i did the paperclip thing again & i couldnt even feel a little button inside.Ive done the paperclip thing before & could feel a little button inside but not with this one.So when I turned the computer back on the tray opened again.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

ok i did the paperclip thing again & i couldnt even feel a little button inside.Ive done the paperclip thing before & could feel a little button inside but not with this one.So when I turned the computer back on the tray opened again.

oh ya,the cd tray did stay closed when I manually pushed it closed

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts

This may suggest that the locking mechanism is either jammed or broken.
Please go into the Device Manager, right click on the drive and uninstall the drive itself, shutdown the computer, manually close the drive tray, reboot the computer and allow the hardware wizard to reinstall the drive and see how it goes.

If this does not resolve the issue you may have to remove the drive and carry out a visual inspection for signs of damage such as a broken latch or spring.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
OMG! So close! When I uninstalled the driver for it,then it closed & stayed closed.I rebooted & still it was closed.The driver installed & i went to click on it in my computer & it asked for a disk,so I put one in & closed it.My cursor turned into a hourglass then it opened & it wont stay closed again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Repeat the process a couple more times please so that the components are all free and working.
BTW I asked you to uninstall the device itself and not drivers, are you aware that most modern CD drives do not use drivers anymore.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
how do i uninstall the device?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
From my post #7

Please go into the Device Manager, right click on the drive and uninstall the drive itself, shutdown the computer, manually close the drive tray, reboot the computer and allow the hardware wizard to reinstall the drive

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok I did all that & even though i hold the tray in it doesnt even recognize theres a disk in it.So I believe this cd-rom is a lost cause.How hard would it be to put a different cd-rom in?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Before you replace the drive please try the steps (that you have not already done) below;

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

If the drive needs replacing http://www.pchardwar...tical-drive.php you can also use the guide to check the present drives power and data cable/ribbon first in case one is loose etc.

Please remember to remove the power cord from the wall socket before you open the case and take anti static precautions before reaching inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU (power supply unit)