Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I have a 2.67 ghz emachine and I used my system restore disk to restore to factory settings from xp pro back to xp home, and it saved everything that was on my system before restoring in a file called 'my backup' it is taking up about 7mb of hd space, and I cannot delete it. I tried logging on in safe mode as ADMINISTRATOR, but it still says that i am denied access to these files. So far I figure that some of the files on there cannot be removed because they are protected by password under my old profile as an administrator. Is there any possible way to remove these files without formatting my pc. -=jonnyrotten=-

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So I just tried to disable simple file sharing so I could have access to the security tab in the properties dialog box of the 'my backup' folder and then take ownership. When I go to tools, folder options, and click the view tab, there is no 'simple file sharing' option at the bottom of the list like in xp pro, is this maybe an option that I have to turn on somewhere else, or does xp home just use simple file sharing? -=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I would also like to use my local users and groups snap in in the mmc, is that possible with xp home??

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

I would also like to use my local users and groups snap in in the mmc, is that possible with xp home??

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do about this?? <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
nobody has any thoughts huh? Where could I find out?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
XP Home doesn't include the file security features of XP Pro, including encrypting and password protecting files and folders. Once you installed Home, the encryption key for those files that can't be removed was lost. It would be very difficult to access those files, but they should be able to be removed. I'll have to look into it when I get a little more time.

Might want to try the KillBox:
http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=4

I'm not sure I understand the question, but again Home is much more limited as far as group policies and other sys admin options.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
cool thanks,

what i meant by the q was that in the microsoft management console I want to add the snap in "local users and groups" but I don't think it is possible on home ed, Just wonderin if anyone else knew. -=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nope, not in XP Home edition. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
<_< :D :D :P Ok, so i figured out how to remove those old user profiles from before i restored, here's what i did.

Log on in safe mode and when it asks you which os to start up in pick xp pro (even in xp home it only gives you the xp pro option) because in even if you have xp home, simple file sharing will be removed in safe mode. Log on as any administrative account and go the files you want to remove, and right click them, click the security tab at the top (that you now have because of the temporary removal of simple file sharing) and take ownership of that folder and all of it's subfolders and files. After I did that i logged off and started normally, went to the folder and deleted, it would not let me delete the whole thing, but i could delete all of the folders and files inside the folder, leaving what seemed to be an empty folder. I then tried to delete that folder receiving an access denied message to the file ntuser.pol. Restart log back in, safe mode, log on as the owner of that file and then delete. Done. -=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
oh, one thing i just remembered, if you have xp pro, you do not have to log on in safe mode, just turn off simple file sharing if that's not done already. -=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
one more thing, maybe there is a registry hack that will remove simple file sharing from xp home for good.....anyone????

-=jonnyrotten=- <_< :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well, i have put an end to all of my xp home problems, i upgraded to xp pro, and i got everything to work properly, very stoked.

-=jonnyrotten=-

<_< :D :D :P :o :D :D :D :D

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
xp pro is def. the way to go