Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows activation problems - not letting me into my desktop

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:whistling:
Seriously do not worry about it as I know how stressful misbehaving computers can be :yes:
Do the testing tomorrow as the extended test is better and can take hours, I plan to be online from around 6.30pm tomorrow UK time and will check for an update then all being well.

Advertisements

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the all the help so far, it's really appreciated :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just to say I haven't had the change to run the test today and won't be able this evening. I am free all day tomorrow so should have some results for you tomorrow afternoon/evening.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries as I will be around :thumbsup:

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Right, I have run the test (Long Test, wasn't sure what the third option called Acoustic did) and it took an hour and 30mins to run. It says the short DST and the long test passed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok this may be a good sign :happy:
What we need to do now is check out the CD drive to see if we can get it working again, you can also check the network card and Ram + clean any heat trapping dust inside the case, see the guide below for this but can you first check in the BIOS to see if the CD drive is detected, it may look like the .jpeg below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan. Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I know that the cables are okay, as when the guy who managed to fix it the second time (it was rebooting all the time) double checked all the cables for me when I mentioned that it wouldn't load CDs. The CD drive itself makes a noise, but not a healthy sounding one. I'll have a look and see if I can figure out where in BIOS it says if it can detect the CD drive. Also, as I can select the USB from hitting F8 straight away after loading, would I not be able to select a USB CD drive in the same way and run the Windows XP disc in it? Or is there some more complicated tech reason why that would not work?

I don't have any compressed air, so I'll have to order some and wait until it arrives to give the PC a good cleanout.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

as I can select the USB from hitting F8 straight away after loading, would I not be able to select a USB CD drive in the same way and run the Windows XP disc in it?

This is a good idea but do you have access to one?

I don't have any compressed air, so I'll have to order some and wait until it arrives to give the PC a good cleanout.

I would check to see if it was needed first, if it is not too dusty using a q-tip and picking out the dust may be enough.

Please confirm whether or not you have access to a valid XP disk with which to work with, also have you looked on your computer case for a sticker with a 25 digit Microsoft product key (see .jpeg below)

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have both a 25 digit product key and a Windows XP disc (images are just examples of what mine look like; my product key sticker looks like the second one in the linked image).

Yes, my Mum has one that she hooks up to her netbook if needed. I hookled up the USB CD drive to the computer with the Windows XP disc inside and when I turned on the computer hit F8 instantly to get the bootable list and selected it and low & behold it worked! I am currently looking at the Windows XP Home Edition set-up page :o

I am going to quit it now and wait for a response from you before attempting anything - would it be a case of a complete reinstall of a repair via the Recovery Console?

Edited by Anyer, 13 June 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Just to clarify before you proceed;

I am currently looking at the Windows XP Home Edition set-up page :o

The image at your link shows an XP professional disk, is this the type you have or is it XP home edition also did both your product key and the disk come with your machine.

For a Repair Installation please use the tutorial provided courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, only just realised the images I linked to mention XP Professional; they are what my CD and product key that came with the PC package look like but are definitely XP Home Edition.

I am just starting a Repair Installation following the steps in that tutorial. Fingers crossed!

edit: Well, it went through the repair process but I'm no closer to getting this fixed. It has rebooted and gone into the set-up and asked for the CD. It doesn't recognise the USB CD drive and obviously my PC's own drive doesn't work :(

Edited by Anyer, 16 June 2012 - 06:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Make sure that the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS, if no joy try every USB port on the desktop as some MBs have a single USB port that is enabled by default

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Where would I find that in the BIOS? THe only thing I can see that is USB related is USB Configuration under Advanced, where it says the following:

USB Functions: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed
BIOS EHCI Hand-off: Enabled
Port 64/60 Emulation: Disabled
Legacy USB Support: Auto

edit: Just to say this is the error message I am receiving - http://support.micro....com/kb/311755. Should I bother to follow through the steps to sort it (even though I do not have the Windows 98 CD it talks about)?

Edited by Anyer, 16 June 2012 - 08:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your USB ports should be working based on your update, try all USB ports as suggested please.