Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop touchpad cursor/pointer problem

• Please log in to reply

martinh108

martinh108

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello, Please can someone help solve this enfuriating problem. Have a Toshiba A200 laptop. Some weeks ago the touchpad pointer function stopped working properly. It works fine occasionally for a second or so then stops and won't move again for some time 1 to 5 secs typically and then moves again. It also moves randomly without moving ones finger on the touchpad. This makes it very frustrating to use. I'm thinking something has infected my computer and is using massive amounts of processor power or the touchpad is finished. Computer says touch pad is working correctly. Help, Please!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi martinh108

It is entirely possible that your system is infected but is there any particular reason other than this issue that makes you suspect malware.
Depending on the answer to the above question you may need to get the all clear from the malware experts before we continue here.

martinh108

martinh108

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, thank you for responding so quickly. I had some help from malware experts in April. It was thought I had a lot of problems and we did a lot of work using different tools. However, at the end of all that still problem with touchpad/pointer and computer still frustratingly slow. Which tends to suggest to me that there is still something clever/sneaky that has not been found/removed. It is as if even though there are no tasks going on the PC suddenly has a huge amount of processing to do and everything pretty much stops inc touchpad reading and displaying of movement. Pointer also moves around randomly without movement on touchpad after moving pointer somewhere which is odd.

The past work was with Satchfan and is on here still. but is locked. Unfortunately at the end I had to go away and wasn't able to go back at the time and say it's no better.

Hope this helps. I have to go out now and won't be able to respond till tomorrow. Thanks a lot

Martin

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update and additional details :thumbsup:
I may be away myself until Saturday am UK time so no rush for me, there is some testing that you can do meanwhile;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

NB: For the benefit of others who may read this topic your last post at your malware topic was on 11-April 12 and Satchfan replied on the same date and then asked on 14 and 15-April 12 if you still required assistance, the topic was closed due to lack of feedback and can be reopened by request of the OP.
If you wish to or it is necessary for you to go back to your work with Satchfan you could ask for a Mod to contact the malware expert on your behalf.

442fan

442fan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there. I am having the same problem with my hp laptop, I have tried to fix for weeks now, so I would really appreciate some help. This laptop has the little button on the keyboard for pointer control, don't know the correct name for it, I call it "the tit". The pointer does operate with the tit, but not the touchpad, or any mouse. I don't like using the tit or touchpad, and always use a wireless mouse with a laptop. I have tried using a usb mouse, same thing, buttons work, scroll works, pointer sometimes works a few seconds, but mostly just bounces slightly when trying to operate it with touchpad or a mouse. I am gonna go to the website you instructed the other guy to and do as you said, and you should have results by the time you see this post hopefully. Thanks very much.

Sean