Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on but won't boot

• Please log in to reply

urusai_lilania

urusai_lilania

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I've recently come into trouble with my computer. I built it myself a year ago, and when I moved last month it no longer works. It powers on, but the monitor says 'no signal'. I tested all the HDMI ports on the monitor, swapped HDMI cords around, but they all check out using my PS3. I decided it was all right for me to go ahead and replace a few parts.

I went ahead and got a new motherboard and graphics card, but no change. The new motherboard has LEDs to show if specific parts are responding, and the CPU's LED was red. I went ahead and picked up a new one too. STILL no change. I've been spending half a month researching various forums for this problem and so far I haven't found a fix. Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Build:

Windows 7
MOBO:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
GFX:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
PSU:
COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS
CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x4
HDD:
Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday,, Posted Image

I went ahead and picked up a new one too. STILL no change

Are you saying that with the new CPU installed, you still have a red light for the CPU?, (to the left of the CPU socket, 3 vertical LEDS)
This does not indicate that the CPU is bad. This indicates that the CPU is in Crazy Mode, meaning the voltage is at 1.5v.

If you have a red LED, (bottom one of four, to the right of the 24 pin power socket) this would indicate a CPU problem.
Please go link and download the updated user manual as it may be different from an older one that came with your Motherboard. The board is very sophisticated, so you must carefully read the manual to find out what the LEDS mean. > http://www.asus.com/...rmula/#download

Have you connect 2 power cable to the Motherboard. The 24ATXPWR and the (your PSU has 1 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V0) as well as the CPU fan plug? Look in your manual, Motherboard Installation.

urusai_lilania

urusai_lilania

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To clarify, it's not the CPU - crazy LED, but the one near the 24 pin socket. I have indeed plugged those in, and looked at the manual. Going to flip through it again now, but I've read through it about five times already. At this point I'm certain I'm overlooking something due to stressing over this mess!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Has it been suggested that you do a bare bones system test outside of the case.?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Have you managed to sort out your problem?
An update on the Forum would be most appreciated.