Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

consrv.dll virus/error [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you zip the last two or three minidumps please, they will be located in c:\windows\minidumps

Once zipped attach them to the next post

Advertisements

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
The minidump folder seems to be empty. I am unsure if it is due to me being in safe mode or not.

Edit:My step-dad wants to go ahead and re-do the computer. He thinks it would be easier that way, as after doing some searching, it seems this particular intrusion was very much difficult to fix, and ended up wrecking some computers. I wish to thank you for your time.

Edited by TerasMinus, 10 June 2012 - 06:21 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem, being a 64bit XP was always going to restrict the tools that I could use

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Still, thank you. I was actually worried that you might have not been able to do anything at all, being that it was 64-bit.

As a side note, when it gets redone, if it still has 64-bit, do you have any anti virus suggestions? Want to hopefully make sure this doesnt happen again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My personal recommendation would be Avast as it is the one I use It is 64bit compliant and has a host of unexpected features for a free AV
There is a review here where all the major free AV's are tested/discussed, albeit on a hardware forum/blog
And the download is here along with a brief description of the features

Operating Systems Supported
Windows 7 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Vista (any Edition excl. Starter Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (incompatible with avast! Account)

If you need any help fine tuning it to your requirements then just shout

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.