Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up when playing games

• Please log in to reply

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey,
Was hoping somebody here could help me as I have tried almost everything. First I'll start with my system:
Asus M4A77TD Mobo
AMD Phenom 2 X4 965
Kingston DDR3 (PC3-10600)in slot 1 2 gig
Radeon HD 5670
Rocketfish 600W PSU

It freezes or restarts when playing games, mostly Black Ops in like the first five mins, and even has done it on wow and diablo 3. Lots of times when playing WoW or Diablo it doesnt do it at all. I have monitored my temps several times when playing Black Ops and CPU get to around 55 C and GPU gets to around 44 C. I have actually seen my GPU go up to about 52 C on diablo but never shuts down. I have redone all thermal paste and have a really clean open air system with a few 120 mm fans on it. Is my CPU overheating? Does it have someting to do with voltage in my ram or something (i have read that)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Forgot to add Im running Windows XP Home Edition 32 Bit and also before the PSU I have now I had an Antec 700W and it did the same thing, so I know its not the PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Molsonian

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here it is:

Attached Thumbnails

• My speedfan pic.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

before the PSU I have now I had an Antec 700W and it did the same thing, so I know its not the PSU.

Sorry but without checking the PSU you cannot rule it out as the cause, most techs would recommend the Antec brand of PSU without hesitation, the same cannot be said about Rocketfish PSUs unfortunately.

Temps are ok (the -128C is anomalous) but the +5V and the +12V outputs from the PSU need to be confirmed as they are too high as is the Vcore 2 reading, please run HWMonitor after you have been gaming or watching a video and again provide us with a screenshot of the readings http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

You can uninstall Speedfan when you are ready.

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here it is after playing WoW:

Attached Thumbnails

• HWmonitor.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Again your temps are fine and the +12V rail is shown to be putting out too higher voltage (see table below) unfortunately there is no +5V reading shown so I suggest that you run Everest and again provide a screenshot http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/ see attached screenshot;

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Not sure if this is what your looking for:

Attached Thumbnails

• everest.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry no, can you please click on the sensor tab as in the left window of the screenshot one that I provided previously, it is the temp and voltage readings we are looking for.

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok did you want me to game a bit then take a screen shot?

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hope this is what your looking for:

Attached Thumbnails

• everest 2.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hope this is what your looking for:

Yes thanks :thumbsup:

The +12V rail is again revealed as putting out too higher voltage which even if not responsible for the lock up issue needs to be sorted asap as it is causing damage to all of your hardware.
Do you still have the previous Antec PSU so that it can be used and tested in the same way, if not I suggest that you either borrow a known good PSU to test your system or get the present PSU tested by a local tech/store, see below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Molsonian

Molsonian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok well thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated. What PSU would you recommend and how many watts for my system?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As per my post #12

Do you still have the previous Antec PSU so that it can be used and tested in the same way, if not I suggest that you either borrow a known good PSU to test your system or get the present PSU tested by a local tech/store,

Just to reiterate that the faulty PSU may not be responsible for the lock up issue but it is harming your hardware, the guidance above is suggested so that we have explored every option before any outlay of cash is necessary.