Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My motherboard has PCI 2.0 and my video card has PCI 3.0, will I be bo

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm currently building a computer and I'm going for an AMD build with the FX-8150 (octocore). I've chosen ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Socket-AM3+) as my motherboard, and x2 PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 (I'm planning on running a crossfire setup, hence the dual video cards). Furthermore, I noticed that my motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 x16 ports, while my 2 identical video cards have PCI Express 3.0 x16 ports. Does this matter? Will I be bottlenecking? Will this impact performance?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,724 posts
:welcome: Konane

The cards will work fine as they are backwards compatible with existing PCIe X16 slots, you will not however get the maximum performance that a 3.0 slot MB would give you.