Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD + Win 7 are slowling killing me

• Please log in to reply

P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been at my computer for 20 hours and I'm about to throw it away..

so yesterday I bought an Intel 520, 120gb SSD, I took out my regular harddrive put in the SSD which showed up as it was suppose to, and I installed Win7 Home Premium on it..

Here are my current specs:

AMD Athlon Phenom II x4 3.2ghz black edition
X-FI soundcard something
DFI lanParty DK 790FXB-M3H5 motherboard
4x2gh DDR3

this is where happiness turns into 20 hours of crying and screaming..

as expected Win7 found 80 something updates, and everything started out fine, I even experienced the improved speed of SSD but then at update 51, can't remember which but KB21045 something it stalls, for 50-60 minutes it just can't seem to finish that update, only result was to reboot
alright weird.. so I didn't want a faulty win7 on my machine so I formatted the drive and installed again, and went back to windows update
this time while updating I get a BSOD, saying "an error has occured that has forced your computer to shutdown"
and then it suggest I do 'silly' things like uninstall Antivirus which I of course don't even have as its a fresh install..

When I try to install updates, like e.g. tried to install Framework Net4, it freezes and gives me a BSOD..
I'm actually writing from that computer right now, from a half broken windows that refuses to update anything, but gives me constant freezes and BSOD.

-----------------------------------------
So what have I already tried?

*I did the memory test during startup, and it said my memory was fine..
*I downloaded the latest firmware for the SSD I bought and made sure I had the same version, which i do
*I assume my windows DVD is fine as I used it on a laptop before, and it installed the entire thing without it complaining.
-----------------------------------------

I have no idea if I have a faulty BIOS, if my windows is broken or my memory stick isn't working.. I have no idea what is wrong,
I need help to move me closer as to what is the problem.. I need someone to tell me "if you do this and this, then I can tell you for sure the DVD is working fine, or your memory is fine"
so I can figure out what the problem is..

regards Allan.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi P3nnyw1se ... :wave: ..:welcome:

what mode does the bios show the ssd in...AHCI...
do you still have the drive with windows on it that you replaced with the SSD