Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo fires up, but monitor blank

• Please log in to reply

alistair

alistair

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to fix up an old computer for a friend, but beginning to wish I hadn't started!

I can't always start up the machine. if i do get it to boot, then i run windows normally and can shut down ok. but then if i want to start it up again - it won't. the mobo starts, fan spins, hdd whirls but nothing pops up on the screen. can't do a ctrl+alt+delete restart. there is no response from it.
the only way to turn it off is from the switch at the power supply.

the power supply is new. the old one had the same problems, except that when using the old one, the only way to start the machine was from the power supply. the new one allows me to use the power button on the front. the restart button does nothing.

its a fujitsu motherboard. s26361-d1170 b22
celeron 700
xp service pack 2
onboard graphics controller

i've tried booting it barebones, just hdd and cdrom. but still the same.

looking forward to your comments. as i'm out of ideas.

Advertisements

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The mother board is broken im afraid.. i rekon theres some kind of bug in certain mother boards that causes this after some time..your solution is to purchase a new motherboard

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea could be mobo problems with the onboard graphics, if you have a video card laying around give it a try to see if it solves the problem

Rick

alistair

alistair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm beginning to think that its my monitor giving all the problems. i slipped in a new motherboard and sometimes the monitor turns on and sometimes it doesn't! when it does turn on, i just get a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top. can't get into the bios.....

what are your thoughts?