Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with secondary monitor

• Please log in to reply

jimmyjams

jimmyjams

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey

Im having trouble with plugging a CRT monitor into my TE2100 toshiba laptop. The problem is the same when i plug my sisters laptop (which is the same brand and model) into the same screen so it isn't a problem to do with my computer alone.

When i plug the monitor in (the brand is called "Digital") i can get perfect image only everthing is in green. It appears the computer only has control over the tonal values of the monitor and not over the hues. I assumed this was a driver problem so i tried to search for a driver for this very monitor (can you imagine looking for a Digital Monitor, lets say it gets one or two results), and when i typed the model number in it only came back with other people search for the same driver is was looking for.

Find attached an image of what the monitor looks like. If anyone has experianced a simular problem or knows of a way of fixing this i would be very grateful for you imput.

Cheers

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4562.JPG

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to GTG,

Have you tested the monitor on any other computers, other than the 2 laptops, since the start of this problem?

I doubt its a driver issue, normally this is a hardware fault in the monitor or the cable. Check the pins in the signal cables connector to start with (at both ends if the lead is removable from the monitor). See if there are any bent ones or ones which have been pushed in.

jimmyjams

jimmyjams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, had a look at the cable (which is hard wired at the monito end :tazz: )and it appears to be missing one of the pins.

However when I plug the monitor into our big tower computer it works fine without any problems, full colour and all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I probably should have clarified one point - the monitor connector is a 15 pin D-SUB but not all of these pins are used. There is often one missing (pin 9 middle row). As long as you can count 14 pins in total, then this should be fine.

From what I understand about your laptop, when you connect an external monitor, you can choose whether to have simultaneous display (using LCD screen and external) or you can switch between the two.
Pressing the Fn + F5 keys will switch between these modes.
When you do that, does the CRT screen look green regardless of whether you are using dual display / CRT only?

NB If you use dual displays, the resolution for both screens must match.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
the res is to high set the sec0nd lower

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
mind you its more likly to be some thing wrong with the monitor try it on pc see what hap if same then its probmonitor

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

mind you its more likly to be some thing wrong with the monitor try it on pc  see what hap if same then its probmonitor

View Post

Read the previous posts - he's already tried that & it works on other systems.