Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Cloning and XP (Home Edition) Repair Install

• Please log in to reply

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hmm, yeah sorry to hear they are asking you to upgrade everything. Again, you could still look into EaseUS ToDo Backup as that has the universal restore option already bundled into the program, for $40. I just know and have worked with Acronis and their software and the bootable CD is very easy and great to work with. Either way it's up to you on which you decide to choose.

Ok, now onto the next installment of my novel that you will want to read, heh... ;)

As for you question about the drivers situation...While you mentioned you would not have internet on the computer once cloned, would you still have access to a different computer with internet, and a USB stick or external hard drive by chance? If so, it'll be quite easy to get your network card and/or wifi drivers installed.

First, on a computer with internet access, just go to Dell's Driver Support Page to look up the driver(s) you need. It'll ask for the Service Tag (found on a white sticker on the bottom of the D600 laptop. (Would look something like 'ST:5XPP78D')...Alternatively, you can choose that you don't have that and just want to select the model computer you're looking for. Either way, this'll give you a page of all the drivers Dell has ever shipped with the D600 models. (Hopefully this link works as a direct link to all D600 drivers: http://www.dell.com/...rivers/us/en/19)

From looking, there are 19 different download options for the network drivers. However, you'll want to play it safe and just download both the "Broadcom-Driver" download, and the "Intel-Driver" download. I actually have a Dell 600 that I use as a test machine and I know those two drivers are the most commonly installed cards, and one of them 'should' work. Basically they will download a Dell Self-Extracting executable file. You just copy these two executables to the USB stick/external drive and plug into the D600 after it's been restored. You then open the USB and run one/both of these files, as they should automatically attempt to install the network driver. If the first one you try determines that there is a different network card it'll just give an error and stop the install. You then just run the other executable and hopefully that'll be the correct one and you'll now be able to get internet access.

Once you have internet access, of course make sure you run Microsoft Updates, Anti-virus updates, etc, so that all software is as current as possible. Also, while Microsoft Updates does a good job identifying most of the other 'unknown' devices on your machine that won't be pulled over during the universal restore, I actually want to suggest you check out Slim Drivers by SlimWareUtilities (The link is to the CNET Download.com page). This tool uses a cloud based technology to scan your computer and locate all the most recent, up-to-date drivers for any unknown (or already installed) device drivers. The free version only allows you to download and install them one at a time, but it's so much better than manually searching for all the drivers you need (let alone trying to find out if installed ones actually need updated).

I agree completely with you that the whole aspect of loading drivers is a pain. While most PC's ship with a drivers CD, not all of them may, or they sometimes are not labeled correctly for you to easily identify them. It's annoying but we can only work with what they 'give us'. I actually like how Dell has the easy to use/search of drivers for their specific systems (again, only if you have internet connection on a computer heh). The thing that helps is having (and knowing about) these other applications that can help you out when the computer manufacturer's don't.

Hope all goes well with the universal restore, and hopefully my directions for getting the network card drivers (and using slim drivers for all others) is beneficial and is an easy process.

Keep me posted with any other questions, comments or concerns...I'm here to help if I can :)

/end chapter two

Advertisements

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you.

These are all good suggestions.

While I was teaching the Navigation class tonight, I elected to fresh install XP Professional on to the D600 laptop. Even with the fresh install, I have to reinstall drivers!! I am mulling over the option of Universal Restore and reinstalling all the software.

I think I will d/l the network drivers and see how that goes. I looked at the DDD (Dell Driver Depot) and there ARE 19 choices. Is there no place where these devices are listed on the computer, like
System Information, BIOS?

Thanks. I will check back after I get internet connectivity.

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I D/L-ED AND INSTALLED THE FOLLOWING DRIVERS FROM THE dELL dRIVER sUPPORT PAGE:

R90698
R114084
R104084
R82532
R140747
R133052
R627710
R72171
R113575

In the Device Manager, the only 'yellow' tag I have is for the wireless card.

Code 10 error. I have tried everything to get connected, but this card is holding me up.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hey polaris6

My apologies for not getting back to you last night. Had a long day and was zonked out before seeing any of your replies.

Not sure if you kept working on this or not, but here's my suggestions/feedback:

1) As for the Code 10 error, that typically means that the drivers installed for the wireless card are incompatible or corrupt. It allowed those drivers to install, but they apparently are not the correct ones...thus giving you that error and saying that it cannot start. So we just need to get the correct drivers installed.

2) I see some of those files you downloaded were for the Ethernet card of the laptop, and not the wireless card. By chance were you able to get that to work so that the laptop can at least get internet access via a network cable? If so, then download and install the Slim Drivers application and let it search online for the wireless card drivers, as it should be able to find the correct one.

3) If you still cannot get internet access via the Ethernet port, then try to download R151519 from a different computer and move over to the D600 like you did with the other files. This is the 'dell made wireless card' driver. The others I suggested were for if the card was made with Broadcom or Intel's hardware, however Dell did make their own as well.

Before you would use Slim Drivers (if you can) or install that other Dell driver, you'll want to first uninstall the Wireless card driver from Device Manager. Find it again in Device Manager -> Right Click on it and choose "Uninstall" and hit OK -> Once it disappears, Right Click on the 'Network Adapters' icon and choose "Scan for hardware changes" -> It should then recognize the Wireless Card again. If it automatically installs those 'bad drivers' and gives you the Code 10 error again, then don't worry. Upon using Slim Drivers to locate/download/install drivers or by trying Dell's R151519, it should detect the card and auto-update it with the correct drivers.

Lastly...If these options still do not fix you up, please download Unknown Device Identifier by HunterSoft. Install/run this on the D600 and it'll list all devices installed on the computer. Go to the File menu -> Save -> and select where you want to save the DeviceList.txt file. Please upload this with your response so I can see if I can properly identify what wireless card is actually installed.

Thanks!

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
R15159 did not work. Same error code

Attached is what you asked for.

Attached Files

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try this little program to find out the exact model of your wireless card, its called UNKNOWN DEVICE IDENTIFIER V8.0 and its a freeware

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Sorry did not see it was already suggested to you, its a good little program

Edited by Alzeimer, 20 June 2012 - 09:06 AM.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Ok from looking at the log, it's referencing your Wireless card as being "Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card"

Looks like we may have a winner this time, as the TrueMobile 1400 driver is R143355 which I haven't suggested, and wasn't in the list of ones you had tried.

Let me know if that finally allows for a proper install of the drivers.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Heh no worries Alzeimer, I appreciate you chipping in and it's good to see we both are thinking along the same line! :)

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, the latest wireless driver worked....temporarily.

I finally got connected to the internet via the MSN browser. I downloaded the 'quick' updates, then I tried to d/l a newer IE (the IE is ver 6...no luck). I tried to d/l AVG 10...no luck, etc....I got the website and I got to the d/l item, but when I clicked to d/l, IE would abort the process...(like about 10 times).

In the process of trying to d/l IE7, the connection to the internet 'died'. The card no longer recognized the wireless router, although a 'companion' laptop does quite well..like I am sending this message via that wireless router.

I think I need to resolve the wireless card issue on the D600 before I can go any further. There appears to be some conflict. Do you suppose one of the 'excesss' drivers I installed earlier is creating that conflict?

I will uninstall the driver and try to install it again.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yes, please do try to uninstall the driver, and do a reinstall.

However, from what you are describing, it's very well possible that the wireless card may be malfunctioning (but let's not assume that just yet).

By chance were you able to see any other wireless routers aside from your personal one when it stopped working? Or did it just say it couldn't find any wireless networks in range? Also if IE isn't able to download for some odd reason, try to download Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org) and see what happens.

Lastly, we could also see if any System Restore Points have been created since you did the fresh install. If so, we could try to maybe revert back to one created shortly after you installed the operating system, which 'should' remove all the bad attempts of installing the wrong wireless drivers.

Let me know how the uninstall/reinstall goes. Also, I'm heading out of work soon, so I may be unavailable for a bit due to my 1hr+ commute time and what not.

Keep me posted though...Thanks!

Advertisements

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I uninstalled and reinstalled the onboard wireless card driver. I was able to get connected momentarily, but then it faded again after a few minutes.

I thought it might be the weakness of the signal from the router, so I installed a PC wireless card (Netgear) from the installation CD I have for it. It installed fine; I enabled it; it is getting power, but no internet signal (although my icon states that I have a 'good' signal.

The card word, I know because I have another (somebody else's) D600 here, and when I plug it into the slot, I immediately get an internet signal. Is there another driver I need, like P&P, or something.

When I click on the IE icon, I get the message that IE page cannot be displayed.

Of course, I cannot d/l Firefox, since I cannot get to d/l-ing.

The adventure continues...

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When you open IE go to FILE and see if WORK OFFLINE is not check, I have seen IE do that often on its own when there were trouble connecting to the internet.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hey polaris6...

Did Alzeimer's suggestion work by chance?

Also, please clarify the following information as I just want to make sure I'm understanding your response correctly...

1) The 'Netgear wireless card'...is this a wireless card you plugged in via a USB connection or differently?

2) You mentioned that with the Netgear card, it didn't have internet connection but yet showed it as having 'good connection'...If this is the case, can you do the following: Click on the "Start" button -> choose "Run..." -> in the box that appears, type in CMD and hit 'OK' -> This will open up a command prompt...type in ipconfig /all and press the "Enter" key on your keyboard. In the output that is presented to you, I want you to look for the section labeled as something similar to "Wireless LAN adapter....". Underneath this you should see an IPv4 Address field...Can you just tell me what the first three numbers are of the listed address? It may be 192.xxxx or 169.xxx, etc.

2) Again I just need clarification as to what wireless card you used in the other D600 you have available with you? Is this the Netgear one you were referencing or did you remove the internal wireless card from your D600 and move over?

As for you asking if other drivers are needed...no, the wireless card (either of the one's you're trying to use) only needs one set of drivers. If the correct drivers are installed and it's still not working then it could be something else causing the issue. A virus might be one scenario, but since you did a fresh install of Windows XP that should not be the case here...plus that would require a GeeksToGo malware removal expert to address.

Lastly, can you verify/tell me if (for both wireless cards you are attempting to use)...when you lose connection, is it that you cannot find just your home wireless network? Or do they show other wireless networks, but just not your own?

Thanks!

Edited by Jahape4, 20 June 2012 - 08:15 PM.

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here we go again. Thanks for haning in thee, both of you...

BTW: The fresh install was XP Pro, for which I have a license.

1. The wireless card to which I was referring as being used in a 2nd D600, is a NetGear WG511v2 54Mps Wireless PC Card. It plugs into the PCMIA slot on the side of the computer. It DOES NOT plug into the USB port. I have used this card on the D600s and D610s. In fact, I tried it on both laptops this afternoon and it works perfertly. More significantly, it works perfectly now on the D600 I have here at my side.

2. ifconfig/all

IP address for the internal wireless card 192.168.1.1

3. The wireless card Is an external card (NetGearsee #1), not the internal (Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PC card). I did not remove the internal card...ever...

4. Neither card is showing any wireless networks now. However, when I first installed the 'good' driver, I saw my wireless network and the neighbor's netwark identified. I see nothing now.

Of course, I can enable and disable either or both (internal and external[Netgear]) cards.
When I enable the internal card, I get the monitor icon show up on the taskbar in the lower right corner (the red X is gone; the signal graph shows 3 bars).

When I installed the NetGear Card, of course, the computer was looking for a driver. I left the installation CD in the drive, it searched and found the driver on the CD. What is interesting is that when I looked at the Device Manager, it show a yellow mark in the ethernet controller category; when I installed the NetGear Driver, that yellow mark disappeared.

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Additional information.

The strategy of using the Netgear wireless card, was to bypass the possibility that the internal wireless card was corrupted.

I checked the 'Drivers' folder in the Windows/system32 directory on both D600 computers (the one on which it works and the 'new' one on which we are having 'challenges').

In both cases: the drivers are shown to be: WG511v2XP.sys and WG511ICB.sys

When I plug the Netgear card into the 'troubled' computer and observe the Device Manager Network Adapters, I see Netgear unit pop up; when I remove it, the Netwark listing disappears. At the same time I insert the Netgear card into the computer, the 'monitor' icon in the lower right of the task bar shows up with a red 'X'. Clicking on that X, shows available networks. On the 'working' D600, I get a list of available local networks the router sees; on the 'problem' computer, nothing available shows up (refreshing the list does not help).

Should I consider an XP Repair installation?