Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Cloning and XP (Home Edition) Repair Install

• Please log in to reply

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Even more information:

I connected the 'troubled' computer to the internet modem via an ethernet cable (bypassing the wireless router). Still not connection.

Advertisements

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
While connected via wired connection, if you do another ipconfig /all, are you getting a 192.x.x.x address still?

Within IE, can you go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings button -> and make sure 'Use a proxy...' is not checked off

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
All in all, it really confuses me how you cannot get internet connection after a fresh install of the computer, as you didn't do anything except load drivers.

Before resorting to something like a repair install or fresh install again, can you see if you do have any system restore points saved on the day of (or around) when you installed XP Pro onto the computer? (Start Button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore)

If you do, then maybe we can try to revert back to the earliest state and attempt to start 'fresh' installing drivers now that you know you have the correct ones.

EDIT: also, maybe try to download Firefox from the other machine and copy over/install on the trouble machine. That would at least rule out IE possibly being the culprit (especially when you have a wired connection, but cannot access the internet still)

Edited by Jahape4, 21 June 2012 - 08:28 AM.

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Done!

I reinstall only 2 drivers (to avoid any possible conflict):

R140747
R143355

I got yellow marks beside the inboard wireless card that did not go away when I uninstalled it and installed R151519.

Hmmmm

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Just to clarify...the last thing you did was uninstall the wireless card driver and installed R151519 but it now just gives the 'yellow' mark, correct?

If you double click on the device in device manager, what is the device status? Are you getting error 10 again?

Also, if R151519 was the one you just installed, also try to uninstall from device manager, and then right away do a restart so it will auto-install it again on a clean boot. See if the yellow mark still shows or not.

Edited by Jahape4, 21 June 2012 - 09:02 AM.

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hmmmm! Apparently there is a sequence to installing drivers...didn't know that.....

Beause, when I installed the R143355 driver first, then the R140747...no good
I then uninstaled the R143355 and installed the R151519...no good.

I then uninstalled the R151519 and reinstalled the R143355 and Bingo...I am currently d/l Firefox.

I will keep you tuned in...

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am off to the Dr Office now...later.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hmmm, heh yeah that is very interesting.

Let me know when you get back, if the internet still seems to be working properly.

Thanks!

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I typed and sent a message earlier, but I don't see it. Hmmmm?

I d/l-ed Firefox and installed it. It seems to be working fine. IE, on the other hand is still a little quirky. I get into a d/l process and I get the message that IE has encountered and error and will shut down..and it does...repeatedly.

In Firefox, I have d/l-ed, IE8, AVG 2012 (free), and now installing the SP3 for XP.

I have not installed any of the other drivers yet; should I do that now? Which ones should I not install? Any additional ones I need?

I am keeping these drivers in a file which I will store away for another rainy day.

Far away from the Universal Restore, Eh?

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Awesome glad to hear things are finally working properly!

My suggestion:

After SP3 is installed, go back to system restore but select to create a manual restore point while everything is working properly.

While IE shouldn't be acting up, just avoid using it anyways as Firefox is a better and more secure browser.

Install slim drivers from my earlier post suggestion. Let it scan and update all drivers but for now just ignore any wireless/network drivers since they are working properly as-is.

After all those are updated and working, create one more manual restore point.

Lastly check out driver magician lite: http://www.google.co...0y8AKfKqK-S-HMg (sorry posting from my phone so limited on linking)

This free app will allow you to backup all installed drivers. Save these for future use.

With those drivers being updated and backed up, you shouldn't have to worry about reinstalling XP plus should you proceed with doing a universal restore you'll have the correct drivers in one spot, and have all your apps installed too from the other HDD.

So glad to hear things are finally working better now! Let more know if you run into any other issues or need more assistance/suggestion. :)

Advertisements

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have executed Slim Drivers and installed all the drivers they recommended. That seemed to fix the IE quirky behavior.
One glitch: Microsoft SNMP Svc not detected...I don't know what that means or what i should do about it.

XP(3) installed

I am scanning the computer now; actually, it is defragging as I write this.

I have not been able to get that free app you recommended. I will try again and get back to you

Thanks again.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Glad to hear Slim Drivers helped with the IE issue.

As for the MS SNMP Svc not being detected, I wouldn't be worried about that as, from my understanding anyway, it's not going to hurt anything for you and really is something not needed especially for a personal home computer.

If you're curious, here is an overview of the SNMP service.

Also if having issues with Driver Magician Lite, here is a free, open source driver backup tool that appears to have some nice features and good reviews: DriverBackup!

Again, let me know if you have any other issues/questions.

Thanks!

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I will be fresh installing all the programs on the D600 and should be finished in a few days. I will check back with you then so that we can but this baby to bed.

Jahape4

Jahape4

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Perfect, let me know then...Thanks!

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm back...

I have installed all the programs on the D600 laptop and the Outlook Express address book and dbx folders.

I can send emails via OE without any trouble, but I cannot receive them.

I am sending this message from that laptop.

The problem/issue: When I click on Send/Receive, I get the logon window that prompts me for the user name and password. I type the username and password, click OK and the prompt window disappears, only to return in 5 sec or so. I do the same thing and the window doesn't appear to go away. I keep getting prompted to input the username and password (which is already typed in the slots).

I copied exactly everything I have on the older 5150 laptop (outgoing server/incoming server); I changed the password to match the webmail account.

I have uninstalled the mail account and reinstalled it several times, with no success,

My ISP provider tells me that they don't provide service for OE, only mail to their webmail service..

I don't know where else to turn for help.