Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hdd not working

• Please log in to reply

DCVN

DCVN

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hello,

I have a Samsung G3 Station 1TB External Drive, Now the light comes on but my pc doesn't recognize it.

- Now noises are coming from the external hdd
- lights not blinking just staying solid

I was thinking maybe I should run it as a slave but just checking to see if I can still have it run off the usb.
I've googled the problem but keep coming back to checking "Disk Management" and seeing if it's detected there but it isn't. I have no idea whats wrong with it, would someone please be able to point me into the right direction as to how to get it working again please.

Edited by DCVN, 18 June 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

Magic 8 Ball

Magic 8 Ball

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Admittedly I'm not very familiar with external hard drives, but a good rule of thumb for connecting/installing any new device is making sure any drivers for it are installed, up-to-date, and functional. If the device came with a driver installation disk, you could try running it and installing those drivers; otherwise do a Google search for "Samsung G3 Station 1TB drivers" or something similar, depending on the exact model code for your device. Chances are that Samsung will have something for it.

Also, depending on your OS and your specific software/hardware components, there may be a compatibility issue between your external drive and some other device or program on your computer; you could try Google searching for "Samsung G3 Station 1TB compatibility issues". You could also check the Samsung website or try contacting their customer support and asking them specifically about "Are there any computer hardware/software components or configurations that might cause..." and then describe your issues.

Or perhaps your device is bad. If you just got it new, try returning it to your vendor and purchasing another, or a similar drive from another manufacturer.

Edited by Magic 8 Ball, 19 June 2012 - 08:51 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
Is this a device that used to work and now does not or is it a new device that has never worked?

It is possible that the USB interface is not working, so putting it into your system is a way to test to see if the disk is working. This is a good first test step.

DCVN

DCVN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Is this a device that used to work and now does not or is it a new device that has never worked?

It is possible that the USB interface is not working, so putting it into your system is a way to test to see if the disk is working. This is a good first test step.

yeah sorry I forgot to mention, it is an 2 year old device that use to work now it doesn't. Thank you for the advice I'll throw it in my pc, I just thought it could have been something more worse and lost all my data on it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
There are many things which it could be: the disk, the interface converter (USB), the cable, the USB controller on the computer or a software problem.

The most important aspect is whether the disk is working or not. If it works in the computer, then you can try using a different USB cable. Does the USB port work with other devices?

DCVN

DCVN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

There are many things which it could be: the disk, the interface converter (USB), the cable, the USB controller on the computer or a software problem.

The most important aspect is whether the disk is working or not. If it works in the computer, then you can try using a different USB cable. Does the USB port work with other devices?

I just figured it was the usb port at the back of the external hdd that isn't working properly. If I were to take the hdd out of it's case and make it into a slave, would i lose any data ?
I got like 200 gigs worth of games on there like bf3, css, etc... that run off my external hdd since I got no room on my 80 gig hdd.

DCVN

DCVN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
would you be able to tell me which parts I need to turn it into a slave ? I've watched a few youtube vid's about it but still have no idea.

Edited by DCVN, 19 June 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
Actually, in terms of SATA, there is no slave. As long as your computer has a SATA port, you just plug it into that port. The Master/Slave is EIDE(PATA).

DCVN

DCVN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Actually, in terms of SATA, there is no slave. As long as your computer has a SATA port, you just plug it into that port. The Master/Slave is EIDE(PATA).

I don't understand what you just said :S
I've taken it out of it's case thrown some wire that was connected to my hdd and plugged it into the external hdd but bios isn't picking it up. Guessing this could have something to do with what you said.

Just to give you an even more clear picture of what I'm working with here's a link

http://illbethejudge...hard-drive-1tb/

Going from the information I've given you, is it possible that this could be setup as a slave without losing the data on it ?

Edited by DCVN, 19 June 2012 - 06:24 PM.

DCVN

DCVN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just got off the phone with samsung & sata, both technical departments have no idea what I'm talking about lolz.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
SATA drives don't use the term "slave", that is a term used with older disks.

I think that you are asking is if you can install the disk into your system as an additional drive, which you can, but that assumes that the disk is working. Since you said that you connected it directly to your computer and that the BIOS does not see it, that tends to indicate that the disk is not working.