Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help with removing Trojan Horse and Malware [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It said it successfully reset the winsock catalog :happy: . Were those threats that popped up after my scan ok or do we need to deal with those?

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello
Nice :happy:

The threats identified by avast were in the quarantine of OTL and FRST so no worries there :thumbsup:
Bonjour and some other programs that monitor internet traffic, like Comodo firewall / Avast, may malfunction after the final fix as we've reset the winsock catalog. If you get problems with any of these, just re-install them

Congratulations! Your logs are clean! :thumbsup: Now that you are clean, please follow these precautions in order to keep safe:

Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer.

Next:

Uninstall ComboFix from your computer:
  • Click on Start > Run
  • Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run box and click Ok. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

Next:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Files
    C:\FRST

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [EMPTYJAVA]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL for the last time and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.

Next:

Note: If you are using Firefox I would suggest the use of these add-ons:
  • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must if you do a lot of Googling.

Next:

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Next:

Additional security programs - For additional security, the use of these tools is important:
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. - Update the free version and scan with it often. It is an excellent scanning tool to have on your side.
  • The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer. This little program packs a powerful punch as it block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial

Next:

Upgrading Java:
  • Go here and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version, if there are any.

Next:

Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Next:

Keep a backup of your important files to prevent future data loss.

Happy safe computing !! :)

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thank you so much for all your help I couldn't have done any of this without you and it's so nice knowing my computer is clean again :thumbsup: .
I will definitely come back if I have any problems and will spread the word about this site, once again thank you for your time and instructions and good luck in life :happy: .

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am actually having a pretty bad problem with the computer lagging and freezing a lot now I updated avast java and downloaded MVPS Hosts file and it runs fine at times but lags ridiculously and freezes which it never did before the fix. programs will also start up and then just say the program is not responding or Microsoft windows is not responding any suggestions? thank you.

Edited by Kandi_smoove, 27 June 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am actually having a pretty bad problem with the computer lagging and freezing a lot now I updated avast java and downloaded MVPS Hosts file and it runs fine at times but lags ridiculously and freezes which it never did before the fix. any suggestions? thank you.

Edited by Kandi_smoove, 27 June 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry lagged and double posted.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts

I am actually having a pretty bad problem with the computer lagging and freezing a lot now I updated avast java and downloaded MVPS Hosts file and it runs fine at times but lags ridiculously and freezes which it never did before the fix. programs will also start up and then just say the program is not responding or Microsoft windows is not responding any suggestions? thank you.

Hmm that's strange... Updating these programs shouldn't cause a problem <_< What did you do before this started? Also, are all the programs lagging or just some of them?

We'll need to run this scan to make sure that nothing appeared and also look at the logs to see which programs crash:

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan
  • Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon to run it.
  • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top, make sure Stadard output is selected.
  • Select Scan all users
  • Under Extra Registry select Use Safelist
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt and Extras.txt in Notepad windows.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files and post them with your next reply.

Next:

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso and save it to your Desktop
  • Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
  • Under 'Select log to query', select:
    System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select:
    Error
    Warning
  • Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Almost everything lags and freezes up Google chrome, CRT+ALT+DELETE won't pop up sometimes task manager is slow to load and doesn't respond, my computer lags and it says Microsoft windows isn't responding for a lot of the programs. the things I did before it started was run the OLT cleanup but it didn't delete everything like FSS so I deleted FSS and those 3 registry things you had me download that were left on my desktop. Then I downloaded the MVPS Hosts file as well as updated my java and my avast I made sure my windows was on automatic updates and that's pretty much it but, since avast made me reboot its been pretty bad I'm actually using my girlfriends laptop to post this because mine takes so long :( .

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
OK. Please run the scans from my previous post and post their logs.

Additionally, did you try disabling the antivirus to see if it runs better? Try and tell me :)

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ugh right click wont even pop up or it freezes i'm going to try and uninstall avast from safe mode and see if that helps, would that be alright?

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Yes, but as long as you're without an antivirus you need to be very careful with what you do to prevent re-infection. If it was avast's fault, we'll tell me and we'll install another one :thumbsup:

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It is most likely my Avast because it is actually running now lol, I am posting from my computer so I guess no more Avast for me what would you suggest?

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Is it running OK now? Are there any more problems?

Kandi_smoove

Kandi_smoove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No problems I can see, I've tested a few things that were freezing on me before and they are doing good now I still have my Comodo Internet Security Premium running. Are there any other things you would suggest I do or another antivirus I should download?

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hmm.. I'm wondering if avast's malfunction was caused by the command we run before. If you want, you can try re-installing Avast and see if the problem is fixed. If you would like a new antivirus, or if avast is still doing the same, the first two options here(Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials) are very good. Choose one of them and install it. Tell me if you have any problems ;)