Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WordPress

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

Wondering what people think of WordPress to create websites. Had a couple of web programming classes last spring, one was HTML programming and the other was using Dreamweaver. I got along okay with Dreamweaver. Was thinking about WordPress since it is open source (ie free).

Thanks in advance, Doug

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wordpress is great. There are an unmatched number of themes, widegets, and plugins. However, it's very helpful to have HTML, CSS skills if you want to customize anything.

The only downside to Wordpress is you need to have a web hosting account, as it's self-hosted. Tumblr.com is easy and doesn't require a hosting account, but doesn't offer nearly the customization.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Does that mean I can not build the web site on my computer with Notepad with out having a web hosting account?

Thanks, Doug

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, you could use a standard LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP) setup to run Wordpress as a development platform. I wouldn't ever recommend you host a live website from your personal computer.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks for the info. I think I will stick to html and css and get better at my coding using notepad++. I think it will be good practice. I have heard that WordPress has to be updated frequently.

Thanks, Doug

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

I have a question for you Admin, why do they use FTP instead of SSH to upload to the server? I was looking at a WordPress for Dummies book and it said to use FTP to upload to the server.

Thanks, Doug

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can use FTP, SFTP or SSH. SFTP is the secure version similar to SSH.

Why the FTP recommendation? Many shared hosting accounts don't allow SSH, and most people are not comfortable with the command line.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks