Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 new Update for updating?

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Genuine or not?

Whilst doing my daily check for Windows updates my Windows 7 PC detected an "Update for updating Windows Update".

Genuine or not?

The reason I ask, is because my Windows Vista and my Windows XP PCs did NOT produce any such "Update for updating Windows Update".
Call me suspicious, but if this update is for WINDOWS UPDATE I would have thought ALL operating systems would have needed it.

It looks genuine (see attached file), but I can find NO reference to it anywhere on the Internet.

Am I being over cautious?

Has ANYONE else had this same message?

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows update s'ware.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 21 June 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
How to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent
If Windows Update or Automatic Updates is turned on, the latest version of the Windows Update Agent will be automatically downloaded and installed on your computer. If you go to Windows Update before it gets installed automatically, you will see a message to install the Windows Update Agent:

Latest version

version 7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent

There is no standalone installer of the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (7.6.7600.256).

See this please
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

The message is on all available information genuine and as it appears you do not have updates set automatically download and install, (not that I am suggesting you should) OR one of the variants, such as notifiy me etc I will choose., it is what I would expect

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

How to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent
If Windows Update or Automatic Updates is turned on, the latest version of the Windows Update Agent will be automatically downloaded and installed on your computer. If you go to Windows Update before it gets installed automatically, you will see a message to install the Windows Update Agent:

Latest version

There is no standalone installer of the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (7.6.7600.256).

See this please
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

The message is on all available information genuine and as it appears you do not have updates set automatically download and install, (not that I am suggesting you should) OR one of the variants, such as notifiy me etc I will choose., it is what I would expect

Thanks Macboatmaster,

I currently have "Choose how Windows can install updates" set to install updates automatically (recommended).
I also have selected:
Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.
Allow all users to install updates on this computer.
Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows.

As for Windows update version; I cannot find ANY mention of it, either in "Programmes & Features", "Installed Updates" or anywhere else, including on the update itself.
I do not recall ever installing it either. If it came with Windows 7 already installed I am unaware of that also.

As it stands, it is already downloaded and waiting for my say-so to install.
I do not have ANY option to ignore it, or deselect it, and it appears I MUST install it in order to be able to download or install anything in the future!

It can only apply to Windows 7, as it wasn't on offer with my XP or Vista PCs when I checked them for updates

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 21 June 2012 - 08:30 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

As for Windows update version; I cannot find ANY mention of it, either in "Programmes & Features", "Installed Updates" or anywhere else, including on the update itself.

You will not as there is no stand alone installer of that version that I believe is the one that the message is referring to

Latest version

The update system detects if it is required, Therefore it is only offered on the systems that do require it.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

You will not as there is no stand alone installer of that version that I believe is the one that the message is referring to

Latest version

The update system detects if it is required, Therefore it is only offered on the systems that do require it.

Many thanks. I'll go ahead with the install.

[N.B. I was being extra cautious as I've recently had a couple of issues with Microsoft software - telling me my PC was infected (when it wasn't!)
I didn't know if this was connected to that fiasco! I had Microsoft Action Centre (Security) saying my PC was infected yet Microsoft Security Essentials telling me it scanned all clear!]

Thanks once more Macboatmaster.

ADDED AT 1640: Now it's getting weird!!!!

I clicked to install this update (which it had already downloaded but was waiting to install). It went through the installation stage then when that finished and it SHOULD have been installed and restarted the PC - it DIDN'T. Instead it went back to the scan for updates screen a SECOND TIME and found there were no updates to install!

ADDED 1650: I've checked and it is saying there are NO updates to install, and none were installed when I clicked on the "Install now" button. Crazy!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG
  • Capture2.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 21 June 2012 - 09:52 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I had Microsoft Action Centre (Security) saying my PC was infected yet Microsoft Security Essentials telling me it scanned all clear!]

You having been a member of Geeks to Go for sometime, will I am sure know that I cannot provide you with advice on any Malware issue. Only certified Malware advisors may do so in our Malware forum.

There was sometime last year a fake action centre alert caused by a virus
In the course of the message it produced a rather realistic action centre window warning of infection.

I have three recommendations.

1. If you still have the action centre message on Control Panel Action Centre, view archived messages, you review the issue

2. Ensure MSE definitions up to date and run a full scan - it will take a long time.

3. If you have any concerns go to our malware forum, open a topic there and provide a link to this topic.
Follow the guide here please.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

I am still of the opinion that the current message is genuine.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Macboatmaster,

This is exactly WHY I was being extra cautious.
I very recently had a session with one of Microsoft's own Technicians. He used "Logmein" and he took over my PC and ran a couple of tests (including tdsskiller). He then told me the PC isn't infected - however he couldn't explain the issue that Action Centre (security section) had detected one!

1: Action Centre still shows, in its Archived Messages, the "detected virus". M.S.E. shows NOTHING detected before or after. See attached thumbnail.

2: I ALWAYS update M.S.E. immediately BEFORE running a scan, and both the Full Scan and the Quick Scan say the PC is clean.

3: If I'm told by Microsoft's own Support Technician my PC isn't infected I believe them.
Apart from this recent issue, I have had NO reason to suspect anything was wrong with my PC at all.
I am VERY careful what I do with my PC and have all the security in place, and settings are all secure.
It always scores 100% on the GRC.com website (that attempts to find holes in your system).
I avoid dodgy websites and attachments. I scan everything - email, downloads, media etc; before I do anything.

It is just annoying me that all this has been caused AND detected BY Microsoft software!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 21 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Posted Image

I cannot advise you without crossing the line, where as I said I am not allowed to advise on malware.

I now recommend that you as at 3 on my post 6.
I now opine that this is the only course of action that is open to you, using the policy of best advice.
There are a number of reasons why MSE may not have found it.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Macboatmaster,

I appreciate all your help, I really do. Thank you.

My difficulty would be IF I did pursue this, via the Malware Forum on GtoG, that I do not possess the technical skills and knowledge expected in order to deal with it myself.

The sort of requests that the Malware Forum members ask are well beyond my level of expertise. I do not have any I.T. abilities beyond the basics. Obtaining, collecting and sending all the technical data they are bound to require is well beyond me I'm afraid! They may just as well expect me to learn brain surgery from a text book written in Greek!
I'm too old and do not find these things easy.

I never asked to be Bill Gate's test pilot. :lol:

Keep up all your good work.
Regards
Wrinkly Pete

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 21 June 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks

I appreciate all your help, I really do. Thank you.

It is nice of you do so readily express appreciation.
We work here becuase we enjoy it but the appreciation of our efforts always makes it worthwhile and rewarding.

I cannot twist your arm, can I, but I feel certain that you would cope admirably with the actions required by my colleague in Malware, indeed once they see the screenshot you have sent, you may find you have little to do except follow their instructions.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I think you've given me very good advice. I've already been looking again at the Malware section since your last reply, and I may give it a go.

I read (and understood) the OTL instructions by Old Timer. I think even I can manage that! So maybe I CAN give it a go.

I'll probably wait until tomorrow mind you, by then my few remaining brain cells have had a good rest! :lol:

I really don't know how you guys manage to do what you do, the way you do.
Trying to make sense of total strangers problems when they may not be I.T. literate (like me).
It restores my faith in human nature, when you voluntarily offer the help you give to people.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that for many people like me, any technical problem with their PC is VERY stressful. We take a working PC for granted, and if/when it goes wrong we are helpless.
That's why I'm so grateful. I depend on my PCs so much.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks again for your kind comments and if you do post in Malware, include the link to this topic please, as that will make it so much easier for my colleague in malware