Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running microsoft security programs

• Please log in to reply

diane1161

diane1161

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can I run spybot2, microsoft security essentials, and windows defender with windows xp home edition??

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Discard either Spybot 2 or Windows Defender as both of them basically do the same job and may hinder each other if both are installed and running at the same time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If I may add, that Windows Defender was packaged with Vista and 7 and when MSE is installed, Windows Defender is automatically disabled and cannot be uninstalled. Any attempt to do so, using other utilities such as Revo etc will result in problems. I mention that only in case you also have it installed on another computer running vista or 7

In the case of XP Windows Defender was not part of the installation package and when MSE is installed, Windows Defender is sometimes automatically uninstalled during the installation of MSE. However this does not always happen and as my colleague says it can then be uninstalled. OR it may be disabled.

However the definitions of MSE include the definitions of Windows defender and it should NOT be left running with MSE. Doing so will result in a slow down of the system, and indeed a possible weakening of the security offered by MSE.

Therefore I would recommend, in my opinion, that you really do not have a choice, as it is Defender that must be disabled or uninstalled., as that will most certainly not sit well with MSE

Here is a comprehensive guide to MSE

http://experts.windo...ts_wiki/89.aspx

and one to uninstalling defender on XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
diane1161

Please respond to your request for information.
Thank you

diane1161

diane1161

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry Im so new at this but ty everyone for the information I am running microsoft security essentials alone as you so kindly suggested. ty again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying.

Please come back just as and when you need advice again.