Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

workstations have been going "offline" at sporadic intervals

• Please log in to reply

supernovas1960

supernovas1960

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi geeks, I've posted and deleted this question numerous times on expert exchange but no avail... please let me know it there's a solution.

Our office has about 25 computers with Windows XP Professional (SP3) that are being used as workstations. We have 2 DC's, windows 2003 and windows 2008... All network card drivers and service packs for both server and workstations have been updated.

PC= dell optiplex 330, drivers downloaded from dell website.

Recently, the workstations have been going "offline" at sporadic intervals--sometimes several times within the span of a minute, other times going fine for several hours before being disconnected. Whenever they go "offline", the workstations lose access to the file server, all mapped network drives, and all Network printers, until a synchronization has been implemented. My co-workers and I are re-synchronizing several times every hour, which is annoying to say the least.

feedback from Microsoft techs: they told me that there's a policy that could cause this. this policy was configured and I've set it to not configured but no avail. Microsoft won't assists any Further until money is set at hand. Policy: "group policy slow link threshold"

Is there any possible way to keep the connection always open so that the workstations aren't constantly being disconnected? Is this a problem with Offline files and CSC, or is this a bigger problem (Server-workstation problem?) of which the going "offline" issue is but a symptom?

based on some research, a lot of people are struggling with this...
Hardware T-shoot:
tested network cables, no avial
now thinking about changing machine locations by testing it at different ports...
network drivers still needs to be tested but this was downloaded from dell website...
network cards not yet test but i can still surf the web when it pops the offline message.

are there any tools i can use run on xp machines ( wire shark) that will check if there's a network problem? note: this doesn't happen to all machine and some only occurs when they are re-installed.

i hope this is informative and thanx :help:

Advertisements

supernovas1960

supernovas1960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
some steps already test:

i tested the new driver, which updates my network card from 2007 to 2011... gr8t but no avail

it seems like users are mostly kicked offline when they try to access scanned documents.

We use network scanning, where all user documents a directed to a directory call XEROX Depository...

every user is added to a respected group depending on the xerox printer closes to him/her
via active directory. once they scan... users can access scanned documents under their folder names.

lately it seems like whenever they click on the scanned mapped drive or when trying to attached these documents to outlook., then that massage pops stating you are no long connected, re-sync will do... it's becoming irritating for the users and I'm out of ideas

it seems to be a more network related problem... I'm not sure if i should post this to xerox too. if any of you experts got links or friends to MS techs... please post the top question to them to. thanx :help: