Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new pc need help.

• Please log in to reply

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently got parts for a new gaming pc. I had everything hooked up and it didn't boot. I bread boarded and still wouldn't boot. I had no case fans running, no video signal. I tried both sticks of ram separately, in each dimm slot. I tried a different video card, powered by the pci-e slot, fan wouldn't even spin. I took off the cpu and checked for bent pins or thermal paste, nothing. I put a tiny bit too much and moved heatsink around so I got some on the side but not to pins or socket. I had the cpu fan running from the motherboard. That was the only thing connected to the motherboard that actually got power. Also I do not remember at all there being a green standby power light on.

I tested the new power supply in this computer I am on now with just the essentials and I got right to the boot screen. This video card works fine in this computer. If there is no standby light on the motherboard showing it is even receiving that power, wouldn't that mean its dead? The only thing strange is the cpu fan worked. Could it be receiving direct power from the 8pin connecter from the PSU, by passing the motherboard? I RMA'd the board I definitely looked for that light at one point during my testing and saw nothing. I could of had the power switch off when I looked. But it never came on when I had it running and I had no signal etc. I would of seen a bright green light lol.

I am just looking for some reassurance and or some guidance as to what I should try next if the board ends up being good. That's if they test them at new egg, I would think. Would the best thing be to buy a system speaker so I an properly test parts one by one? I am just realllly hoping I don't have to RMA another part, sooo long.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday wzulauf, Posted Image

It does sound like a dead Mobo. Could have arrived like it or,
Damaged by static discharge if you did not take measures..
Shorted out on an extra or wrongly sited stand off in the case.
Fault in the 20/4 power socket.

What brand/model Mobo? Are there any other diagnostic LEDs?
A internal system speaker is a good tool, i always use them.

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The motherboard is a ASRock 970 extreme3. I did do the breadboard test to ensure I was not getting shorted out by anything case related. I saw no LED lights on the motherboard when it was powered up. I already went ahead and ordered a internal speaker and an anti-wrist strap for when the motherboard is returned to me new or same, I can ensure I am not the cause. I did however touch the metal case MULTIPLE times during this whole process. I am aware I wouldn't even feel the shock so I thats why I bought the wrist strap, 7 bucks and it will last forever. My biggest fear is to have to RMA more parts but at least now I will have internal speaker and I can pinpoint exactly what the hardware issue is if they return my motherboard and say it tests out fine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like you did the right things. Your rig failed the first time, installed in the case? then failed again when bare boned, You may have done so, but have not mentioned if you checked the stand offs on the motherboard mounting plate inside the case.
Please let us know how the results with a new board.

Be lucky.

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I used the standoffs and all the holes on the board lined up. I got the new board and I breadboard tested the cpu/hsf, ram, video card and got to the bios. So I now know those things work. However after I put it all together and tried to power it up in the case, same thing as last board. Am I doing this somehow? I wore a static wrist band(attached to a painted case :/), I didn't drop anything. I tightened the screws snug on the motherboard, I didn't torque on them. I would imagine you would have to torque and crack something on the motherboard screw holes to break something lol. I took the computer back out of the case and tried it with the essentials and it wouldn't post, not even a beep with just the cpu in telling me I need ram. So in the process of putting it in the case physically or having everything connected something happened.

I basically held it by the heat sink cause its huge and sturdy and maneuvered with the other hand not trying to touch anything but the edge. I am pretty cautious and gentle more then some people on youtube videos. So I don't think I physically broke something plus its the exact same symptoms. That to me leaves the power supply or obviously another dead board breaking in the same manner when its under load or having a lot of things plugged into it. But again everything plugged into the power supply runs and the motherboard only has the cpu fan running, the 3 case fans dont spin at all. Is it possible the power supply is killing the motherboard when its under more load then the cpu/ram/video card for post/bios? Could my case be shorting and killing the board? There are little nubs on the inside but they don't look to stick past the standoff risers. Obviously the board is dead if its doing the same thing as the first one and I am pretty sure its not the cpu for that same reason because it worked with this new board.

I am about to order a new Gigabyte board because I think they are a little more reliable. It's also a little more money so the parts are typically of better quality. AsRock was recommended to me cause the features and price, but it all came at a price of cheap I guess. You cant make great with cheap in the world of electronics, I guess. I just don't want a bad PSU to ruin another one if its failing under load, if possible?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I will ask another member to come in and look with a fresh pair of eyes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When doing the bare bones test, with just the CPU installed, (fresh thermal paste, 2 power connects + fan) you gets beeps, (no RAM) are there any LEDS on?

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I get no beeps at all with just the cpu hooked up. I tested it the same way cpu first fresh out of the box so I know the speaker works. Same exact symptoms as before, so it must be me doing this. Now the question is how? I took a picture of these two metal solder spots for the case that sit roughly and 1/8 inch under the outer edge of the board when installed. Can metal that is not touching but close still cause a short that can kill a motherboard? I have a new motherboard coming tomorrow and I would like to test it but I don't want to ruin another one if its me or my other hardware. I plan on running everything hooked up sitting on a hardwood table, EVERYTHING, but the case will be connected. Can I put electrical tape over those two metal points sticking up close to the motherboard without damaging anything. I would imagine the non sticky part can be face it without melting. Or this could be the power supply somehow ruining the motherboard, even though it tested fine in another less power hungry machine?

Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Can metal that is not touching but close still cause a short that can kill a motherboard?

I don't think so. Light switches have about that clearance when in the off position and a spark does not jump the gap. For peace of mind, it would do no harm to cover those nubs.

Or this could be the power supply somehow ruining the motherboard, even though it tested fine in another less power hungry machine?

If the PSU was delivering excessive voltage I think it would have killed the test PC. It should have over voltage protection. What is the brand and model.

Where there any LEDS on the Mobo, green or red?
Do you have the correct I/O shield installed in the case?
Are you shorting out the power on pins to start the pc? not the case switches.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have had a look at the motherboard manual, in fact I have downloaded it and read it.

Lets start from basics., please confirm each

1. You have the 24 pin power connected

2. You have the 8 pin separate power connected - please confirm your PSU provides that - I know you said 8 pin but the motherboard header is 8 pin please confirm that you have connected an 8 pin

WHAT is the make and model of the PSU please

What is the full spec of the CPU please

3. Did your CPU come with pre applied thermal paste

4. On the image you have attached those solder spots as you refer to look like pop rivets to me - what is the make of the case please

5. When you have it breadboarded and you got to BIOS, and then you put it in the case and NOTHING it does appear, as you say that it is the installation in the case that is the problem
Was there any obvious smell of burning, crackling etc when you powered on with it in the case.

6. Depending on the case and the connections to the headers on the board, if it is a poor quality case - it is not that difficult to connect incorrectly.

7. Check carefully on page 26,27,28 and 29 of your motherboard manual the headers.
Is the case provided with block connectors on the cables for the USB etc and front port audio
How is the front panel power swtich leds and reset switch leads terminated.

8. When you breadboarded it how did you power on.

MY GODD COLLEAGUE iammykyl has posted whlst I was typing and referring back to the motherboard manual. Please continue with him. He will do you proud.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster.
What are your thoughts on the PSU.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think we will know better when we are given, as we have both asked the specs of the psu.

I think
Board installation - I/O plate - I never thought of that one - I/O plate in case grounds on board - could well be - rather than I/O plate from motherboard

Stand offs - on all case positions rather than on case positions to match board securing points

front panel connections from case - incorrectly fitted on motherboard header

It is I think either NO POWER or a dead short and regretfully a blown board

as this appears to be the prime evidence

I used the standoffs and all the holes on the board lined up. I got the new board and I breadboard tested the cpu/hsf, ram, video card and got to the bios. So I now know those things work. However after I put it all together and tried to power it up in the case, same thing as last board.

wzulauf

Please do not think we are talking amongst ourselves so to speak - I am sure you will see this exchange of views as helpful to your problems

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, thanks, will wait for wzulauf's response.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Ok, thanks, will wait for wzulauf

Posted Image response.

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The make and model of the psu is corsair cx600 v2. The case is an antec gaming one or something along that. I think I may of discovered the only potential cause for two boards dying the same way. I thought my power supply connector for the floppy power was actually a fan for the psu itself. So I can only think that I plugged that in twice on case install and two boards fried. Quick search turns up that can be fatal for boards seeing you are giving it power from two points. I plugged it into the pwr_fan header on the motherboard. Since the board booted up outside the case when I did not have that plug in that tells me it is pointing to that terrible mistake. I have only attached that cable and turned on the power twice, both times I installed it into the case, two separate boards. Then remove from the case and the board is dead. I think that is it, confirm or deny?