Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start up after new RAM install

• Please log in to reply

Hammett

Hammett

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, new here and was hoping you could help me.

I have a ASUS Motherboard M4N68T-M, Phenom II x 4 processor, Windows 7 64bit.

So I bought Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) XMS3 1600 9-9-9-24 ram, but when I install it into the computer, it won't start up. Fans are turning and everything but, no beeps, no nothing. Just a black screen. I tried them individually 1 by 1, but didn't work either. I took them out and put back in about 4 times before giving up. Then I put my old ram back in and it started up again fine.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this ram not compatible with the motherboard? My old ram is Kingston DDR3-1600 4GB (2GBx2) HyperX CL9 Memory Module.

Any help appreciated

Edited by Hammett, 21 June 2012 - 10:28 PM.

Advertisements

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
you may need to change your ram from DDR3 1600 to DDR3 1800 as that is what your motherboard supports hope this helps

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Hammett

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Your MBs QVL http://uk.asus.com/M...#specifications
I see Corsair 1600 TR3X6G1600C9 G(XMP) on the QVL but not XMS