Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop charger failure

• Please log in to reply

TheTommo

TheTommo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I'm Davey and am 42! I live in the UK. I know the basics in computers. I have an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop. The charger which came with the laptop when I bought it just over 12 months ago stopped working. There was a small green light on the box on the charger which also stopped working. The plug is a sealed unit but the fuse is accessible. I changed the fuse and it still didn't work. A new charger was bought and it worked and fully charged the laptop. The next day the charger was used and it failed to work. Again I checked the fuse but this hasn't solved the problem. Has anyone had this problem? Is it an issue with the laptop? I find it hard to believe that two chargers would stop working in such a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Davey

Advertisements

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Was the chargers universal chargers or was they the genuine ones meant for the laptop also have you checked the cables for wear and tear

TheTommo

TheTommo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Firstly can i say thank you for your reply. This is the first time ive used a forum. The second charger was a genuine Acer charger. It was exactly the same voltage, amps, etc. The cables are all in perfect order, there is no external wear and tear on any cable. The cables cost £49 so am reluctant to buy another just yet!

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Have you tried taking the battery out and plugging in the charger

TheTommo

TheTommo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I've tried that and no luck.

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
It sounds like the DC jack might be at fault I would take it to your local computer repair shop to get it checked out.

TheTommo

TheTommo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok. I will do that. Thank you for your help.