Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burning

• Please log in to reply

polaris6

polaris6

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have issue with the D610 I have (my traveling brains) PC,XP(3),2 GB RAM.

This issue deals with burning DVDs

I have Roxio 6 EZ Creator and Nero Smart software. I have tried/used both and get the same result described below.

The system actually burns the DVD (I can see it being done and when I examine the DVD it 'looks burned'.
When finished, the screen states that the process is complete. I exit and (as always) check to see if I can actually read what I have just burned. The message I get when I try to read the recently burned DVD, is that the 'D' drive is not accessible (this happened with both the Roxio and Nero software). If I take the recently burned DVD out of the drive and put in a DVD I know is 'good', it reads it perfectly. If I take the recently burned DVD to read on another computer, it will not read.

I am using Dynex RW DVD+Rs

This is driving me crazy because I want to back up some of my stuff on this overloaded HDD to DVDs.

Any advice/direction?

'Disk Management' shows the drive, with nothing in it and no drive letter assigned.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello polaris6...

Because most cd writing software uses packet writing when burning to CD-RW disks, you may have to close the session to view the files on the disk. This is particularly true when trying to view the files on a computer other than the one it was created on.

wannabe1

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The ability to 'not be able to read the burned DVD' persists even when I try to view it on another computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you closing (finalizing) the disk when you finish burning it...before ejecting it?

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes..

Just for 'giggles', I d/l-ed 'imgburn' and tried to burn the same DVDs and the same material. ... and it worked without a hitch.

I uninstalled, then reinstalled Roxio and Nero Smart and I obtained the same result

polaris6

polaris6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just realized after reading what I posted that the message may not have the clarity I intended. The uninstal/reinstall produced the same BAD results as before.