Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded psu , machine powers itself off

• Please log in to reply

bRv00

bRv00

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Morning,

I have an Abit Va-10 Series Mobo
AMD Athlon 2100+ CPU
1GB DDR RAM
Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy
GeForce 6600 GT 256MB soundcard ( AGP )

sound card got delivered last night .... plugged it in and monitor stayed on standby mode ... re-inserted old Radeon 9000 Series card and monitor worked . upgraded BIOS , uninstalled old Display Adapters ... new card still wouldnt work ..

changed setting think it was BOOT INIT , in BIOS from PCI to AGP restarted ... still didnt work , tried resetting CMOS .. still didnt work ....

anyway noticed that my 400W PSU only supplies 12A when +12V ... decided that must be the problem :tazz: reckon I needed atleast a 20A for graph card to work .... so bought a 550W PSU with a 20A supply on +12V . connected it up and started it ... machine switches on but then powers off straight away . doesn't even get to POST . If i put old PSU in it powers on fine.

will I need to upgrade MOBO ??

thanks

Edited by bRv00, 04 June 2005 - 07:31 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
no the mobo's fine you just got a bad psu so return it, What brand is it? Make sure you get a name brand (themaltake, antec, ernmax ect.)

You are right about your old psu most likely not enough for the new card but the card itself could have problems but we will see once you get a good psu in there so keep us posted.

Rick

bRv00

bRv00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thought it might have been that but wasnt sure as not too knowledgeable in hardware stuff ....

thanks for help , i'll walk to shop now and return it ...

i'll keep you posted on it , thx

bRv00

bRv00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
okay , new power supply works .... new graphics card doesn't ...

still just seems to stay in standby mode....

one thing i did notice though , that i never noticed last night cos i was tired [bleep] ... is that if the monitor isnt connected to anything ... but is powered ... it says *NO Input Signal* .... if the monitor is plugged into old graphics card .... it has a signal .... if I plug the monitor into the DVI-Analogue adapter ... that's when it goes into the standby mode .... so i'm guessing my monitor doesn't support it ?????

on second thoughts ... it doesn't even POST ... gonna get intouch with store that provided it and see if i can get a) a refund or b) a replacement

thx for your help

Edited by bRv00, 04 June 2005 - 10:54 AM.