Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Computer not working.

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
My son ordered a computer from an online UK website and he has received it today and tried setting it up tonight but as soon as he plugged it in Windows is starting popped up and then after getting through the Windows 7 splash screen the blue screen came up and said a serious error had occured. He used System Restore to get to the last point that the people who tested it were at and this worked and it got to the Windows 7 Desktop, however in the right corner it says that the Windows version is not genuine. Now it can't complete set up cd's and keeps blue screening with 2 errors - memory management error and irql_not_less_or_equal.

Is there any way to fix this please, any help would be greatly appreciated as he's so disappointed as he looked so forward to receiving his computer today. :(

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would strongly urge you to contact the site you purchased it from. There has to be something wrong and they should provide assistance or a replacement computer.

Messing with it may invalidate the warranty.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks, yes that's what I told him but he was that desperate for it to work. :( Also you have to pay to return it which I don't think is fair as it's definitely not right at all and is unusable. :(

He also thinks he can see a wire unplugged inside so wonders if it could be that.

Edited by Fox07, 26 June 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There may be several unplugged wires inside. Unused power connectors, connectors to external ports that are not used, etc.

Surely worth looking at. While you have the case open, check the seating of all cables, both power and SATA data cables. Also remove and replace the memory modules one at a time as it's also possible they may have come loose.

Dopes the computer come with a recovery partition on the hard drive or did they provide you with the Windows 7 installation DVD. Microsoft requires one or the other.

Have you called the site you purchased it from? Maybe they have some ideas. If nothing else they can provide you with a installation DVD or Recovery DVD(s).

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. :) He has phoned them this morning and they have asked him to run a memory test which he is running now but it can take up to 16 hrs they say. So far it's found no errors and it's been running about 1 1/2 hrs so far. They said if errors are found he will have to send the ram back to them and they will send him new ram. If that doesn't work they want him to re-install his Windows 7 disc that they sent with the computer. I will let you know how he goes on and thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

He's not allowed to look inside it as that will invalidate the warranty as they had him sticking a sticker on it when he removed the packing from inside the tower.

Edited by Fox07, 27 June 2012 - 05:37 AM.