Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

80mm low profile pcie audio card HELP!

• Please log in to reply

boycee73

boycee73

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Please can someone tell me where i can get a 80mm low profile pcie audio card for my Hp Pavillion slimline desktop.

I need the 80mm (back panel) and not the standard 120mm as obviuosly it will not fit in the slimeline desktop.

I have tried to search HP but it is more than useless and no friendly.

Regards.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: boycee73

Couple of questions for you, why do you want an add on audio card, has the MBs integrated audio chip failed?
Unless you spend silly money on an add on audio device you will not see much difference in that of a modern MBs audio chip.

Couple of alternative ideas for you (examples only) http://www.google.co...ed=0CIMBEPMCMAU and http://www.pcworld.c...CFZMmfAodTTeT6Q

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply!!
Basically I brought some extra external speakers for better sound, I plugged in the external speaker cables to the desktop but nothing happened so I have assumed that I needed a proper sound card!!

Could I have done wrong?

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Was your sound ok before?

Things to check include are do the new speakers require a separate power supply and if so is it switched on and the volume on the actual speakers turned up and are the speakers plugged into the correct port, normally a nasty shade of green, see link http://www.hobby-hou...-color-code.php

It is unlikely that you have done anything wrong.

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
Yes it's got it's own power supply etc! It's one of those speakers with seperate bass and twin speakers! Tried all slots but nothing!

Would the mb own audio be enough to power these or would I have to turn something off etc ?

Thanks for your patience!

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
Yes it's got it's own power supply etc! It's one of those speakers with seperate bass and twin speakers! Tried all slots but nothing!

Would the mb own audio be enough to power these or would I have to turn something off etc ?

Thanks for your patience!

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry yes the sound is ok at the moment just weak hence new speakers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok, can you provide us with the exact model name or number of the Hp Pavillion and the same for the speakers please, this will help us with research.

Do the speakers have a power light which shows that they are on + have you checked for a separate on/off switch on the back of one of the speakers, it may slide left to right as opposed to being a turn type of knob.

Would the mb own audio be enough to power these

The speakers are intended to amplify the MBs audio.

would I have to turn something off etc ?

No, not unless you had an add on audio card.

Have you checked the computers own audio settings and can you tell us what operating system you are using please.

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I am using windows 7, my desktop is a HP pavillion slimline S5000 series and the model number is S5545uk-m.
The speakers are Logitech S-220 2.1.

I have checked the speakers and there is no on / off light and only one power button.

Even when conected I cant seem to find these in teh computers audio devices either.

Regards.

boycee73

boycee73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Ignore me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is the smallest switch in the world attached to the side of an external remote which powers it all on!!!

Many thanks for all your help!!!!!

Regards.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted and you are most welcome :thumbsup: