Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card / monitor problems

• Please log in to reply

_raph_

_raph_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well...as i said...whenever im just doing normal things like surfing the net or using messinger, my monitor goes blank for like 2 seconds and then goes back to normal
i suspect that thers a problem with my graphics card or its drivers.......another thing is that my computer just freeZes and restarts randomly.... :tazz: ...this is a brand new computer....HELP please ;) :tazz: ;) :idea: :help:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Raph, welcome to Geeks to Go. What kind of video card? Do you have the current driver for it?

You can try this as a POSSIBLE fix. You can get the latest driver from the video card manufacturer's web page. Download the driver. Then go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and download driver cleaner (it is free). Then go to add/remove programs, remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode, run driver cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then reboot and install the new driver.

It could be other things causing this. You can go to the event viewer and look for red x corresponding to the latest crash event. Go to start, my computer, right click manage, event viewer. Right click on the red x event, properties and view the details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible causes and corrective action. This will give a direction for you to go. :tazz: