Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
yes ... Got all the same as suggested by your colleague who assisted in my malware removals.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What size is the new drive?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
This is the new drive i purchased .. I figured its best to show you in case it is the wrong one.

[attachment=59101:photo17.JPG]

[attachment=59102:photo18.JPG]

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
According to your colleague Compcav from malware removal my specs are

500 GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

He said to make sure it is 500 GB or larger.

Serial ATA (SATA) that is how it connects to the motherboard

7200 RPM is the speed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so if you disconnect the old drive completely then we can install the OS on the new drive.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I have not disconnected the old drive.

Was told to leave it in, to install new drive to then clone my old drive to new drive ... ensure that clone was successful, check and see if all was copied onto new drive, then I can uninstall old rive.

However I can not proceed if I can not see my new drive in the device manager as per the last guy ...

I am looking to CLONE my drive ... FIRST

Edited by Lexy610, 21 July 2012 - 01:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Device Manager is not the only problem. The drive is not appearing anywhere to even do a clone.
Have you checked the bios to see if it is identified there? If not then we need to start this from the drive itself and see if it is even working. The new drive could possibly be defective also.
Is there another system available where you can hook the new drive in as a secondary drive and see if it will be identified in a known working system.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
How can I go through the BIOS?

I may have another CPU I can check the disk on.

Ill check it on the BIOS if you can direct me on how to get to the BIOS ... if not there then we can try to start the drive from drive itself if that is ok with you??

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK found how to get to my BIOS (F2) ... clicked down to Drives, clicked to Drive 0 thats on ... clicked to Drive 1 and it was off so I turned it on?

Im I doing it correctly?

I will not continue until you get back to me .. I have not saved nor closed BIOS as of yet ...

I will wait for your next set of instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you are on the right track to me. If the controller was turned off then that is why it is not detecting the drive.
make sure you save the bios settings before you exit. Normally you click F10 and then Enter to save and confirm the settings. The system should reboot now and once in Windows let us know if you now see the other drive.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
K will do... I will get back to you in about 10 min. Going to save BIOS settings and reboot .. will let you know if it has been detected.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I hit save/exit .. it rebooted and I got this screen ...

[attachment=59106:photo19.JPG]

What should I do? Should I hit F2??

Edited by Lexy610, 21 July 2012 - 03:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hit F2 and let me know what it does. it probably needs to identify the drives again. Once that is done let me know before continuing on past this point.

What it is telling you is it is not finding a bootable hard drive. So now comes the fun part with all this.
What you need to do is boot with the Vista cd in the cdrom drive. You need to setup the partition and then format the partition. This will make the drive accessible.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I hit F2 and it took me back to BIOS .. I checked and I went to Drive 1 and its still on but at the bottom it says Drive ID= Unknown

I have windows XP not vista

I am still in BIOS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the steps would still be the same but I'm beginning to believe the drive is faulty. It can't be identified in bios where it should be.