Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repaired?

• Please log in to reply

moonpupy

moonpupy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed your instructions and have "repaired" my hubby's XP machine. At least 3 times. Today.

When it finally loads up to the desktop I get these errors:

AdobeARM.exe missing ordinal: Ordinal 281 is missing from dynamic link library msi.dll.

Rundll32.exe is missing some parts (incomplete, I know, but I'm having to help him on his laptop while I'm typing this).
Nvcp.dll and NvMCTray.dll is missing from Rundll32.exe (I think).

And the fun part? It won't see the network adaptor (D-Link DUB-E100) (worked before, have the drivers) in any USB port AND when I go to

Start->Control Panel

I get a "Windows Explorer has experienced (something) and has to close/shut down. Send error report?" And it falls back to the desktop.

Help?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
moonpupy

Welcome to Geeks to Go

1. Do you mean these instructions please
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

2. Post the make and full model of the computer if branded please

3. What was the reason - problem - that made the repair installation necessary in the first place please

4. See if you can go start, run and type
sfc /scannow

5. If the CD you used for the repair was not the same XP version with SP as you had on the computer eg. you had SP3 and the CD used for the repair was SP2 then go here
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=24

download this to another computer. SAVE nor run
Then see if it will install on this computer.

6. It may be just a question of the SFC and updates including the SP or it may depending on what made the repair necessary be another problem
Try a chkdsk if you can get one to run.
chkdsk /r at a cmd prompt OR both boxes checked on the GUI - My Computer right click the hard drive, properties, tools, error checking, check now, click to check both boxes, the top one will already be checked,
Start and agree to run on restart.

7, For the time being if possible.connect hard wired ethernet cable. We can sort the USB network adaptor out later, all being well

moonpupy

moonpupy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

moonpupy

Welcome to Geeks to Go

1. Do you mean these instructions please
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Yep!

2. Post the make and full model of the computer if branded please

Dell Optiplex 745 compact case (with new HDDs and Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS))

3. What was the reason - problem - that made the repair installation necessary in the first place please

He came up with a C++ error that started when he upgraded his torrent program (Tribler 9.5.14 to 9.5.17(8)). Haven't been able to reproduce that error, but I do remember it had something to do with a Start.exe file.

4. See if you can go start, run and type
sfc /scannow

A windows pops up and then disappears faster than my eyes can see, lol.

5. If the CD you used for the repair was not the same XP version with SP as you had on the computer eg. you had SP3 and the CD used for the repair was SP2 then go here
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=24

download this to another computer. SAVE nor run
Then see if it will install on this computer.

Couldn't get SP3 to load until I loaded SP2 (which I have on CD). SP2 stalled out saying it couldn't load 'author file' and it couldn't load MSHTML.DLL. Now the thing won't load Windows at all. I'm thinking I'm going to have to re-re-re-repair Windows. Again.

6. It may be just a question of the SFC and updates including the SP or it may depending on what made the repair necessary be another problem
Try a chkdsk if you can get one to run.
chkdsk /r at a cmd prompt OR both boxes checked on the GUI - My Computer right click the hard drive, properties, tools, error checking, check now, click to check both boxes, the top one will already be checked,
Start and agree to run on restart.

Can't do this yet.

7, For the time being if possible.connect hard wired ethernet cable. We can sort the USB network adaptor out later, all being well

Yeah, can't do that. The onboard network connection doesn't seem to work. That's why we went the USB route.

Your turn, lol.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

He came up with a C++ error that started when he upgraded his torrent program (Tribler 9.5.14 to 9.5.17(8)). Haven't been able to reproduce that error, but I do remember it had something to do with a Start.exe file.

torrents, depending on what is torrented are a prime way to acquire malware

Were you not able to simply use a system restore point, to before the upgrade rather then the more drastic step of attmepting to repair install windows.

sfc /scannow
start
run type
cmd
when and if the cmd window opens
type at the prompt
sfc /scannow
Note the space please between the sfc and the /scannow

SORRY I was taking it a step at a time through your repsonses to my quoted post
Now seen that it will not load windows at all

Load the Cd - recovery console and then
chkdsk /r

moonpupy

moonpupy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Didn't even get through the repair this time. Got this message:

Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message. D:\nt\com]\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)
Error Code=0x8007007f
The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32.dll’.

And from what Google says, it has something to do with a virus infection? Should that even happen when it's trying to repair itself?

After I clicked OK, it tried to continue then froze up on a black screen.

I'm beginning to think we're talking reformat and re-install. He's really going to whine because his anime is still on that HDD. (Have I told him to save it to the other HDD on that machine? Yes. Does he listen to me? No. Truly, I married him for his entertainment value, lol.)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have no idea what this is

his anime

is still on the HDD

If there is something you need to retrieve use this
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

As I said previously

torrents, depending on what is torrented are a prime way to acquire malware

It may indeed be that you have acquired an infection. I am not authorised to deal with Malware issues. Only trained and certified experts may do so on this site.

The original error reported

He came up with a C++ error

is connected with Visual C a Microsoft facility also linked to net framework installations and used for the runnng of many programs, including such matters as the anime

My advice is either
1. A complete format and reinstall, or you may try a parallel installation if you have sufficient disc space
This installs a fresh copy of windows by you selecting a different folder name eg: C:\Windows1.

You then use that windows, your programs will open from there, sometimes with changes necessary and then you move your documents and settings to the new windows.
Eventually deleting the old windows installation.

2. You may of course go to our Malware forum and see if they are able to assist you, in ascertaining if your concerns are correct. Of course that depends on the computer being able to run the scans they ask for.

Here are the instructions for a parallel installation
http://www.windowsre...dexfullpage.htm

and here if you so decide is the link to proceed to our malware forum
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

If you decide to follow that please read the guidance carefully, before creating your topic in Malware
Please provide on that topic a link to this topic
Please do be patient as they are very busy in that forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anime is a style of animation originating in Japan, characterized by colorful graphics and often featuring themes intended for an adult audience.[1] The word is the Japanese abbreviated pronunciation of "animation." The intended meaning of the term sometimes varies depending on the context.[2]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

Very impressive - :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

WHY did I not think of that :surrender:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts