Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HDD won't boot to windows unless old one is connected

• Please log in to reply

ibrakeforwombats

ibrakeforwombats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a laptop with two HDD bays in it. I had both bays filled but wanted to add a HDD/SSD hybrid as the primary drive. I cloned the drive using Driveimage XML and was able to boot it up no problem. The problem comes in when I went to try and put my second HDD back in to copy those files to my new hard drive so I could copy them to the second old hard drive (sorry if that sounds confusing). My computer will start to boot windows but than gives me the BSOD saying that windows is missing critical parts. I have no clue why I can't boot with JUST my new harddrive. I used the boot menu, so I know it is booting from the new drive when both are in. I can't figure this out for the life of me! Thanks for you help in advance!

Advertisements