Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Won't Show Graphics After Replacing PSU

• Please log in to reply

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I'm making this thread for a friend since he has no access to a computer due to his not working (I'm just the intermediary here).
My friend had his computer's PSU die on him earlier today; he replaced it with a Thermaltake TR2 430 (he bought it locally from Best Buy, and they apparently don't have the best selection ever), and though the computer posts and has no other noticeable issues, the graphics (whether via his GTS 450, the stock 8500GT, or the on-board graphics) do not appear to be working.

The computer is a Gateway GM5626 desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Edited by mkau, 01 July 2012 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi mkau

Any error beeps when the computer is powered up?
Have both the main power (20 or 24 pin) and the 12V ATX power supply (4 or 8 pin) connections to the MB confirmed as being securely connected?

Has your friend tried another screen and/or an alternative video lead?
Check the condition of the video cable, this includes damage to the cable itself or the end connectors, look for bent pins and when reconnecting them make sure they are secure, finger tighten only.

If the above checks out ok then I suggest checking the Ram, I will explain how to do this if and when required.

The Gateway GM5626 http://support.gatew...14735Rsp2.shtml

NB: If the previous PSU went pop it make have taken other components with it but hopefully not.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi mkau

Any error beeps when the computer is powered up?
Have both the main power (20 or 24 pin) and the 12V ATX power supply (4 or 8 pin) connections to the MB confirmed as being securely connected?

Has your friend tried another screen and/or an alternative video lead?
Check the condition of the video cable, this includes damage to the cable itself or the end connectors, look for bent pins and when reconnecting them make sure they are secure, finger tighten only.

If the above checks out ok then I suggest checking the Ram, I will explain how to do this if and when required.

The Gateway GM5626 http://support.gatew...14735Rsp2.shtml

NB: If the previous PSU went pop it make have taken other components with it but hopefully not.

Error beeps: I'll ask him. I'm not in the same state as him, so I can't access the computer myself.
He's tried more than one screen and multiple video cards so that crosses those off.
I was thinking the PSU might have taken the northbridge down, since he can't use PCI-E or on board graphics.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok we will wait on an update regarding any possible error beep/s.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Ok we will wait on an update regarding any possible error beep/s.

He said there were none. Outside of the graphics not working, the computer seems to be booting fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry but can you check with your friend that until this issue happened they heard a normal POST beep each time.

Remove all but the stick of Ram in slot one, reassemble and then power up the computer and see if there is any change, repeat the process with the same Ram stick in each memory slot on the MB, write down the results, repeat the procedure with the other Ram and memory slots until every combination has been checked and the results recorded.

Outside of the graphics not working, the computer seems to be booting fine.

Sorry but without a display there is no way of knowing this.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
He says he's just going to build a new one, so I guess there's nothing else to do. Thanks for the help, though :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup: