Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla's insistence on updates, workaround?

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Mozilla updates may be just fine for most computer users. They do not work for persons with different physical impairments Last week I installed the familiar Firefox for a person changing computers. IT would not go beyond the "need to update". Also ran into that problem on another person's pc when they tried to access a familiar site. Suddenly it would not work, wanted an update first. Have all of Mozilla software writers forgotten the disadvantaged or is there a workaround so that the familiar Firefox will remain?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
For Vista/Win 7: Click on the Firefox in the upper left corner, then on Options then Advanced then click on Update. Then change it to Never Check for updates. May want to also uncheck Use A background service for updates. OK.

For XP I think you have to click on Tools to get to the same options.

Does that do what you want?

Ron

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I guess my previous reply didn't take. The problem can not be fixed as described. The problem occurs when we try to install a workable version on a different pc or reinstall where it was used before. The visually impaired and students with other impairments don't need these new improved versions when they can function with the older versions. There seems to be no way to contact Mozilla and ask for help.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Can't you install an old version with the network disconnected and then tell it not to update before you connect?