Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop harddrive?

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Hi guys,

I guys I need to replace the hard drive on my laptop because its about to die:(

I just bought a new hard drive and I have already transferred all my old files to a external hard drive.

How do I transfer my windows 7 software on to my new hard drive? My laptop never came with a CD for windows 7, is there a way I can transfer the windows without buying a new copy of windows 7?

My laptop is running windows 7 and its a lenovo ideapad Y560 model 0646

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Often drive manufacturers have utilities to transfer all the data over from the old drive to the new drive, so you might want to check the web site of the new disk that you got.

This does mean that you will need to be able to connect both drives on a computer, either by the laptop allowing for two drives to be connected (many/most laptops are not designed for two drives) or by means of an external case.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I got this hard drive : http://www.ncix.ca/p...facture=Seagate

So i went to the seagate site and I can't find any software to help me transfer?

Okay so just want to make sure, I would have to get a external had drive enclosure for the new hard drive i just bought so I can connect it to my computer via usb?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Please see:

Seagate Downloads

Then go down to:

DiscWizard

Seagate DiscWizard works with Maxtor and Seagate disc drives. The software lets you quickly install your new disc drive with wizards that guide you through the processes of creating and formatting partitions on your disc drive, transfering data, and backing up your data.

Select the OS and then click on download.

Yes, you would need a means of connecting the disk, which is most often an external enclosure. There are also cable adapters as well. It might also be possible to install both disks in a desktop machine to do the copy, but I am not sure of how exactly the program runs.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Alright I will give it a shot!

Thanks so much for the help:)