Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Studio memory

• Please log in to reply

tonyokerson

tonyokerson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm working on a Dell Studio 1745 (Windows 7/2X2GB DDR3 memory) which would blue-screen on boot and beep four times. I removed and replaced the memory modules one at a time and found one module was defective, but the computer would boot and run with the one good 2GB module. I ordered two new matched DDR3 2GB modules. With both new modules installed, the computer will boot then blue-screen within two minutes. I can install either of the new modules in either slot and the computer will boot and run flawlessly, but installing the second module causes it to blue-screen and shut down almost immediately. Any ideas will be immensly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: tonyokerson

Possibly caused by a bad MB setting or controller/timer.

Are the time and date settings on the task-bar reading correctly.
Have you tried restoring the systems default settings in the BIOS.

If no joy try removing the MBs coin cell battery for a while, press the power on button to dispel any charge in the system, replace the battery and see how it goes, please remember to reset the time and date on first boot http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1182375

tonyokerson

tonyokerson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the suggestions, phillpower2. The time and date were correct. I scheduled a Windows memory test, then disconnected the batteries, reset the bios, installed the second ram module, and rebooted. The bios recognized the 4GB ram and it's running the memory test now. I'll repost after the test completes and give you an update.

tonyokerson

tonyokerson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again, phillpower2. Windows memory diagnostic completed successfully with no errors, computer rebooted into Windows and is happily humming along.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome tonyokerson, I am pleased to hear that the issue appears resolved and thank you for the follow up :thumbsup: