Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a limited user account in Vista

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi fellow members,

We have a bandwidth cap and I'd like to create an account for my tweenager where she can not download anything that I do not want on a laptop that she will be using for her own personal use. I have created a standard user account for her that is not password protected so I have access and I have my own account that has Administrative privileges that is password protected so she can not access it to change anything.

Thank you,

Donna :)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well now, ignoring for a moment, the question of "my daughter obeys my rules", which of course most parents like to believe, or at least I did with my two sons, your teenager will know exactly how to cirumvent the restrictions of her account, indeed it is probably discussed in depth by the teenager computer "geeks" at her school or college.

However to deal with the actual question

http://windows.micro...h-Family-Safety

and how to see what she has been doing

With activity reporting turned on, you can monitor what your kids are doing online and on their computers. The Family Safety Filter keeps track of what they do and save the information on the Family Safety website for you to look at.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Macboatmaster.

However to deal with the actual question

:rofl: I'm so glad you could decipher a question out that 1st post. I just reread it and thought.....huh?

Thank you for the link. I'll take a good look.

Here's another question that maybe you could answer for me:

How is it possible that this child has accessed the User Profiles from her acct and password protected the Standard Account I created for her? I thought you could only do that from the Admin acct!

I'm trying to set this laptop up so that she can not change anything without my authority and to prevent her from creating multiple accts with passwords not to mention downloading anything and everything that will violate Fair Access Laws.

"my daughter obeys my rules"

As much as I'd love to give her the benefit of the doubt........ :X

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since she decided to "go around" your restrictions delete all the accounts except yours...
tell her you will try again in one month to let her use the computer and if she again tries to get around your restrictions/rules she will lose access for 6 months...third time will be a year

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well without playing devils advocate - if she cannot use the computer at home, then she will use a computer at her friends or wherever.

However, whilst we all have different ideas of how to enforce our rules of conduct on our children (easier with felines :lol: ), to return to the matter in hand, my guess is she accessed the system admin account.

Password protect it, but of course, as I am sure you know if something goes wrong with your user account with admin rights, , there is no way of getting in without that system account password.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Happyrock. This is the same laptop I posted about almost a year ago where you had given me some ideas/advice. The final solution then was to change the WEP keys and prevent internet access all together, that way she could still play her music and watch movies in my absence. I took it away from her then when I found out that she was piggybacking on someone else's connection. It's been in the closet for more than 9 months now. I took it out of the closet, restored it back to factory settings and thought that since she was older it was time to get it back on line, update it and try again to give her something to do over the summer. Didn't work!

I'll have to take it away again till she can prove to be trusted and responsible.

Thanks guys for posting.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first sentence in post 1...

We have a bandwidth cap

I raised 5 kids mostly by myself (ex wife got on drugs)...
the eldest was a smart, strong willed, stubborn girl...the only thing that worked was to be really firm
no yelling or fighting just explain the rules and the punishment if you break the rules like no phone or tv, grounded ect...then follow thru if the child breaks the rule...
she of course broke some and suffered the consequences...the upside was that the younger kids saw that butting heads with dad was a no win situation and I really didn't have much trouble out of them
IMO you can never let a child win a battle of wills...if you give in only once they know it can be done and the next time you go at it they just have to try harder and longer to get their way
no idle threats...never threaten them with something your not 100% prepared to do

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Macboatmaster. Didn't see your post before I had posted.

if she cannot use the computer at home, then she will use a computer at her friends or wherever.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, not sure which) we live in the middle of nowhere. She has no friends near to visit and I wanted to give her access to her friends on Facebook. She's at that age where she is old enough to leave at home alone yet not old enough to have a drivers license nor to get a summer job. She is bored to tears! Speaking of felines she has plenty of them to keep her busy since I foster for the local rescue which she volunteers at 2 days per week. Besides that, not much to do around here for a 15 year old except to watch the corn grow.

I do have my admin acct password protected. I'll take it away from her for now to see just how she managed to create a password protected acct. As it stands now, she knows that if she puts another password on her acct I will restore back to factory settings again and this time I will not be considerate enough to backup all her pictures.

It'll go in the closet till I find time over the weekend to check it out.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I knew about the cats that lead to my quip "easier with felines"

I did not however mean your user account with admin rights I meant the system admin account, as I feel reasonably certain that is what she has used
Event Viewer will reveal if that is the case

I do have my admin acct password protected

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
on the tech side of this problem you say...

was to change the WEP keys

two points here...wep only takes a few minutes to crack the password
so if you really are using wep you have to switch to wpa....
second is if you can't lock the router away from her she can simply press the reset button and the router goes back to default and then she has no more problems getting on the internet