Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 cannot boot up, goes to repair manager

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Just recently when I would turn my computer on, I would get a screen telling me Windows 7 cannot boot up then when I hit start Windows 7 normally, it attempts to load up but fails and takes me to the repair manager, where I can restore my system, back up files, system restore, etc.

This happened twice so far. I got lucky both times and was finally able to get Windows 7 to boot properly. When Windows 7 loaded, it said it recovered from a serious error and showed it was a blue screen type error. I unfortunately don't have the first Minidump file, but I have the second one. I already analyzed it with BlueScreen View and will post the log. If this is happening twice now, clearly something is wrong.

Log:

==================================================
Dump File : 071512-22542-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/15/2012 11:26:04 AM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : fffff8a0`005338c8
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000001
Parameter 3 : fffff880`04692b2d
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Users\Name\Desktop\071512-22542-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 268,640
==================================================

I did view the first Minidump file and got the same: Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I didn't save it and deleted it, thinking the first time the boot up failure was just a fluke.

I'd attach the Minidump file if I could. Maybe someone can tell me how. So what would be causing Windows 7 to not boot properly? Hardware failure? Faulty driver? How do I pinpoint the exact problem? Is it possible the Minidump file can be analyzed down to the point where it'll tell you the exact cause of failure?

I already plan on running Memtest86+ sometime soon. I guess it could help to mention the computer is brand new, not even two weeks old. The only additional hardware I have added was an Asus PCI Wireless Card.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Xanster82, 16 July 2012 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Xanster82,

We had to remove the log that you attached because it included the COA (Certificate of Authentication) for your OS that verified that it is a legit copy of Windows. Never display that 25-digit alpha/numeric on a public forum.

The only additional hardware I have added was an Asus PCI Wireless Card.

Did you have any trouble before adding the wireless card?

Who installed the wireless card? You or the business from which you bought the computer? This will determine if the warranty was voided or not.

Personally, I've never had good luck adding a PCI Wireless card to a desktop and if I am not mistaken some PCI wireless cards require that you install the drivers before the hardware.

I'd take the computer back to the store from which you purchased it and have them honor the warranty.

Keep us informed to what you find out. We are more then willing to help but I fear dishonoring the warranty.

Donna :)

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for removing that log. I had no idea that was in there. I guess I should have looked over it myself before posting. I didn't think Speccy would put something like that in the log. Anyway...

I installed the Wireless card myself, it was the first thing I did when I got the computer before I even turned it on. I had the computer for like two weeks though and this just started happening like two days ago. So I don't see why the Wireless card would start causing problems now.

Everything works fine when the system actually boots up Windows. I have no problem with the Wireless card or anything else for that matter.

Not sure what is causing the system to not boot. I'm beginning to think hardware failure though. Hopefully not the case..

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would suggest testing RAM to make sure there is no problem there.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

An alternative: How to Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 7

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you get to this screen...

Attached Thumbnails

• recovery options.jpg

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for the replies. I will be running Memtest over night tonight. I've delayed on it which I shouldn't have. This problem has happened to me three times so far. Tonight being the worst.

Happyrock, no I don't get to that screen. Let me explain what happens in more detail.

When the computer is turned on, it goes to the Windows 7 loading screen, screen goes black, computer restarts, then takes me to a screen with the text:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

My options are: Launch Start up Repair or Start Windows normally.

I'd start the start up repair, and it gives me a few options such as system restore, system back up, system recovery. I have done system restore but Windows still failed to boot.

This started on Saturday. I'd get lucky and somehow get Windows to boot up with no problems since then. Just today, it happened again, and had a very hard time getting Windows to boot. I booted fine in Safe mode so I can back up my files. I'd like to avoid a format, but if it leaves me no choice...

I have an HP Computer running Windows 7, I ran the diagnostic test it said all hardware passed (I'm still running memtest over night though).

Computer was fine for the first two weeks, but now all of a sudden I get failed to boot errors.

Other than running MemTest is there anything else that I can do to narrow down and hopefully pinpoint the issue?

(I attached an image of the exact screen I am getting when Win 7 fails to boot)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try sfc /scannow...
Click on start...type in cmd...right click on Cmd.exe and click on Run as administrator.

In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter

The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok, I ran the Memtest overnight, it went 18 passes, and no errors. So nothing wrong with the ram.

I just did the sfc scan, it found no errors.

So I dunno what is causing this to happen. I guess my only option is now to just format (not that I want to), and if the problem still occurs, then it is hardware related. If not, then I guess it was a software/driver error. But if software error, it'll most likely just happen again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since the only change you made was to add a wireless NIC I would still suspect that as the cause of the problem, even though it worked for a dew weeks. Maybe look to see if there is a new driver available or if Windows Update has one?

Almost all Win 7 systems come with a Recovery Partition on the hard drive. You should be able to use the one on your computer to restore it to factory new state.

You will need to reinstall the wireless card drive.
You should save any data you may have that you don't want to lose.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Since the only change you made was to add a wireless NIC I would still suspect that as the cause of the problem,

I agree

try completely uninstalling the hardware and driver

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I checked for other drivers for the Wireless PCI card and nothing. It was up to date.

Right now I am running a hard drive diagnostics. Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. If the hard drive has no errors, then I will format and chalk the error up to software/driver related.

If not hardware, how do I know what software is exactly causing the start up failure? So I don't install it again and have to go through this again.

Edit:
I too suspect it is the Wireless card, but you never know. I'll boot in safe mode and remove the program and drivers. See what happens.

Edited by Xanster82, 17 July 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I let the diagnostic run, it finished and found no errors.

So now hard drive and memory are fine.

I also uninstalled the driver and program for my Wireless card. Still couldn't boot Windows 7.

What should I do now? Format? How do I know the problem won't return when I install my stuff again?

Or should I just format and return the computer and exchange for another one?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would restore to new state then do as you normally do. If it fails again, take it back.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you remove the Wireless card...